WD RED Drives (WD10EFRX WD20EFRX WD30EFRX)

Discuss and share your WD drive experience
schumaku
Guru

Re: WD RED Drives (WD10EFRX WD20EFRX WD30EFRX)

Post by schumaku »

P3R wrote:
schumaku wrote:Not uncommon ... some 150...200 minutes per TB are realistic.
Not for a short/rapid SMART test, which was the original problem reported here 4 days ago.
True - missed that. The price for re-purposing existing threads instead of creating a new one and settings an appropriate subject.

I'm tempted to close this thread ... what do you think, P3R?
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

schumaku wrote:I'm tempted to close this thread ... what do you think, P3R?
I think that's a great idea. it's been years since the thread received any posts in line with the original intent of it.

Please everone finding this thread, look for another thread where the first posts and subject more specifically resembles your question/issue instead or start a new thread.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
itsmarcos
Easy as a breeze

Post by itsmarcos »

Why don't you move the last days posts about SMART test failures on WD HDDs on a separate thread and then close this one?

Primary

QNAP TVS-951N [latest QTS 5.0.x]
- disk 1: WDC Red WD80EFZX
- disk 2: WDC Red WD80EFZX
- disk 6: Samsung SSD Evo 500GB, SSD Cache
- disk 7:Samsung SSD Evo 500GB, HybridMount Cache
- External disk: WDC Red WD60EFRX
Dead one
QNAP TS-253B [4.4.x] - now dead

Remote backup
QNAP TS-219 P+ [latest 4.3.x]
- disk 1: HGST Deskstar 7K3000 HDS723030ALA640 3TB
- disk 2: WDC Red WD40EFRX
ichbinsnur
Starting out

Post by ichbinsnur »

itsmarcos wrote:Why don't you move the last days posts about SMART test failures on WD HDDs on a separate thread and then close this one?
Good idea! ADMINS ?
onehans
Know my way around

Post by onehans »

it looks like its a drive reporting problem not QNAP firmware. same issue is reported on synology forum https://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopi ... 19&t=58635 "stuck on 90%"
someone mentioned about disabling indexing on drive which helped him. so i guess i need to wait for an update of FW for my WD red
thx for help
itsmarcos
Easy as a breeze

Post by itsmarcos »

You will have to wait a lot for a WD firmware update. Try to get a replacement from WD if diagnostics fail. You never know,you might get a 4TB one as a bonus;)

Primary

QNAP TVS-951N [latest QTS 5.0.x]
- disk 1: WDC Red WD80EFZX
- disk 2: WDC Red WD80EFZX
- disk 6: Samsung SSD Evo 500GB, SSD Cache
- disk 7:Samsung SSD Evo 500GB, HybridMount Cache
- External disk: WDC Red WD60EFRX
Dead one
QNAP TS-253B [4.4.x] - now dead

Remote backup
QNAP TS-219 P+ [latest 4.3.x]
- disk 1: HGST Deskstar 7K3000 HDS723030ALA640 3TB
- disk 2: WDC Red WD40EFRX
CiASpook
Know my way around

Post by CiASpook »

WD Red and Red Pro 10TB announced :)
Production: QNAP TVS-1282T3-i7-64G, 8x Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16TB, 2x Samsung 860EVO 2TB M.2, Corsair H5 SF watercooling, Corsair SF450W PSU and Noctua NF-8A PWM 80mm fans
Backup: QNAP TV-1677X-16G, 12x Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16TB
Problems: QNAP TVS-872XT-i7-64G, 8x Seagate Ironwolf Pro 16TB, 2x Samsung 970EVO Plus 2TB, Noctua fans
Zodiak
Starting out

Post by Zodiak »

Are WD Red Pro 8TB compatible yet? I'm in the market for a QNAP and was looking over compatible drives but the list stops at 6 TB. Also, should I wait for the 10TB WD Red Pros or stick with 8x8TB Red Pros? Thanks.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

the lists "stops" because qnap does not test drives all the time

if the drive is NAS certified and you do not have legacy volumes in place(impossible with a x82 unit), it will work just fine
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Zodiak wrote:Also, should I wait for the 10TB WD Red Pros or stick with 8x8TB Red Pros? Thanks.
The only one in this forum that know if you need the additional capacity and can afford the higher cost is you, so I'd say that you're the only one that can answer that question correctly.

What I do know:
  • The largest capacity disks are usually the most expensive per byte.
  • Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB have a 20% better MTBF and almost a factor 10(!) better Non-recoverable Read Errors per Bits Read than WD Red Pro.
  • Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB are available at resellers now and WD Red Pro 10 TB isn't (that's in my market, you have to check your market).
  • Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB are less costly than WD Red Pro 10 TB (7% less in my market now, you have to check your market).
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
Johnno72
Easy as a breeze

Post by Johnno72 »

P3R wrote:
Zodiak wrote:Also, should I wait for the 10TB WD Red Pros or stick with 8x8TB Red Pros? Thanks.
The only one in this forum that know if you need the additional capacity and can afford the higher cost is you, so I'd say that you're the only one that can answer that question correctly.

What I do know:
  • The largest capacity disks are usually the most expensive per byte.
  • Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB have a 20% better MTBF and almost a factor 10(!) better Non-recoverable Read Errors per Bits Read than WD Red Pro.
  • Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB are available at resellers now and WD Red Pro 10 TB isn't (that's in my market, you have to check your market).
  • Seagate Ironwolf Pro 10 TB are less costly than WD Red Pro 10 TB (7% less in my market now, you have to check your market).
And like my WD drives for some reason they have been removed from the QNAP Compatibility List which concerns me a little and is also why you really need to check this list https://www.qnap.com/en/compatibility/ especially if you are heading into the 6TB to 10TB drive capacities. I understand items are added and removed from this list, just concerns me that anything that was once compatible isn't now.. I will contact QNAP and ask just to kill the curiosity.

To all admins, thanks for good work you are doing with the forums. Advice, information and discussions that you guys provide to newbies and others is appreciated, even if we don't say it often enough. Thanks and Cheers
NAS: QNAP TS-EC2480U-RP 16G 24 Bay - Firmware: v4.4.3.1421 build 20200907. Updated from v4.4.3.1400 Build 20200817 Official
StoragePool / DataVol: Storage Pool 1 / DataVol1: Single 29.04TB - Thick Volume: 29TB
HDD's: Western Digital - Model: WDC WD4001FFSX-68JUN0 Red Pro NAS 3.5"
HDD Size: 4TB - HDD Firmware all HDD's: 81.00A81
RAID Configuration: RAID6 x 10, HotSpare x 1, ColdSpare x 1 - Network: 1GbE
UPS: CyberPower PR3000ELCDRT2U Professional Rackmount LCD 3000VA, 2250W 2U Line Interactive UPS
QNAP Hardware details required: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=68954
Remote Administration of: TVS-863+ 16G on UPS Cyberpower OLS1500E+RMcard205
maryhaugen
First post

Post by maryhaugen »

Can you suggest me for external backups?
I am so cool, lolz
johnripper
Experience counts

Re: RE: Re: WD RED Drives (WD10EFRX WD20EFRX WD30EFRX)

Post by johnripper »

maryhaugen wrote:Can you suggest me for external backups?
Yes

Gesendet von meinem SM-G935F mit Tapatalk
sikosis
Starting out

Post by sikosis »

I just had 2 WD30EFRX fail within a week of each other, just out of warranty (3 years) and now I no access to my data. The second one failed when I put in a brand new one.
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

sikosis wrote:I just had 2 WD30EFRX fail within a week of each other, just out of warranty (3 years) and now I no access to my data. The second one failed when I put in a brand new one.
It's not uncommon for RAID disks (especially when bought at the same time and being used in the same RAID) to fail during a rebuild. Contrary to what some people think, WD Red and other cheap NAS disks doesn't offer fantastic longetivity. WD Red have a NAS compliant firmware at a budget price which is great but hardware quality is still at budget desktop disk level. it's the same with the similarly priced models from the competition.

If you want enterprise longetivity you need to look at enterprise disks or at least at the 5-year warranty NAS Pro disks (though WD Red Pro is hugely overpriced so I would recommend looking at Seagate Ironwolf Pro instead).

Hard disks are wear parts that need need to be replaced regularly. When the warranty period ends you should already have a replacement plan. If you're lucky and they give you some bonus time, then be happy for that but you can never count on it.

If you've now lost data I feel very sorry for that but you really should have have kept backups of any important data, as both Qnap and all experienced administrators constanty advice.

Return to “Western Digital Drive Discussion”