Unable to connect to printer - Sinds firmware 3.7.3

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
royk
New here

Unable to connect to printer - Sinds firmware 3.7.3

Post by royk » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:50 pm

hey peeps,

I am experiencing a annoying situation here that my printer (HP F4580) is not able to print anymore after i updated my Qnap TS-210 to firmware 3.7.3

I have a smal office and need my printer a couple times a day. Nothing wild, but i need him. After the update i get the message in osx lion: Unable to connect to printer

Now i need to use a extra laptop connected to my network and send my files i want to print to the laptop, wich is connected straight on the printer.

What to do? :(

QNAPMike
QNAP Staff

Re: Unable to connect to printer - Sinds firmware 3.7.3

Post by QNAPMike » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:08 am

Dear Royk,

Your printer is not on the QNAP printer compatibility list.

see link below,

http://www.qnap.com/useng/index.php?lang=en-us&sn=4093

If the printer is not listed on the compatibility list. Most likely the printer will not work properly due to drivers.

Please use compatible printer on the list.

Tks.

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:30 am

Sorry Mike,
QNAPMike wrote:If the printer is not listed on the compatibility list. Most likely the printer will not work properly due to drivers.
Current QNAP printing does unlikely require any drivers. This is not yet a full Cups with Gutenprint where drivers would be required.

Different from QNAP, Synology has it - QNAP does still try to fix their OS and add apps nobody really wants.

pwilson
Guru

Post by pwilson » Tue Nov 06, 2012 3:02 am

QNAPMike wrote:If the printer is not listed on the compatibility list. Most likely the printer will not work properly due to drivers.

schumaku wrote:Current QNAP printing does unlikely require any drivers. This is not yet a full Cups with Gutenprint where drivers would be required.

Different from QNAP, Synology has it - QNAP does still try to fix their OS and add apps nobody really wants.

I brought this issue up as recently as Fri Mar 09, 2012 in my post: Re: CUPS Printing as Standard Feature. As is usual in the QNAP NAS Community Forum, no response from QNAP was forthcoming.

I did however note that the Samba implementation in the present v3.8.0-beta "1012 build" seems to be compiled with CUPS support, so perhaps QNAP is actually attempting to address this deficiency in their Firmware.

Code: Select all

strings /usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd | grep CUPS                 
Unable to connect to CUPS server %s:%d - %s
   HAVE_CUPS_CUPS_H
   HAVE_CUPS_LANGUAGE_H
   HAVE_CUPS
   HAVE_LIBCUPS
Warning: Service %s defines a print command, but rameter is ignored when using CUPS libraries.

I do however note that CUPS itself is still limited, and it does not provide it's normal WebUI on Port 631. Attempts to access: http://NAS-IP:631 still results in a "404 Not Found" response. It also only seems to support USB printers attached to the QNAP. I continue to desire a full CUPS implementation on my QNAP, and continue to want support for network printers in addition to the "toy" printers semi-supported now.

I believe that QNAP could greatly increase sales of their products, if they would support a full CUPS/Samba implementation, including access to the CUPS WebUI, and support for Gutenprint etc. The other glaring "missing feature" is a POP/SMTP/IMAP Server on these appliances. Support of CUPS/Samba/Network-printer integration, and full E-mail Server support, would permit QNAP to provide solutions for Small Business that would permit them to use QNAP products rather than Microsoft servers. [Microsoft's Exchange Server is not cheap, and it requires dedicated Server hardware or virtualization, so this is a market that QNAP could easily chase, but so far doesn't].

Without E-Mail Server and proper Samba/CUPS support, QNAP continues to provide a less than "turn-key" replacement for Microsoft Servers, so they are missing out on what could be a major growth segment for their Sales Dept to exploit. I support many small businesses, and the lack of these two features is typically the "deal breaker" than severely restricts my ability to get my customers to accept QNAP NAS devices as alternatives to paying for Microsoft's Servers. While dedicated Exchange Servers probably make sense for large enterprises, they are very expensive for smaller networks, due to the expense of Server Hardware, and the software expense of Microsoft Server, and Exchange Server solutions.

Hopefully Synology's support for a proper CUPS solution will encourage QNAP to revisit this glaring shortcoming of their present Firmware. Perhaps QNAP will look into this, when they are finished creating new unwanted WebUI's, and new Apps that nobody wants. Actually doing so would go a long way toward demonstrating "solutions to the global market with nonstop innovation and passion" as claimed in their "brand promise", and might help QNAP become an innovation "leader" rather than "follower" in the NAS industry.

Patrick M. Wilson
Victoria, BC Canada
QNAP TS-470 Pro w/ 4 * Western Digital WD30EFRX WD Reds (RAID5) - - Single 8.1TB Storage Pool FW: QTS 4.2.0 Build 20151023 - Kali Linux v1.06 (64bit)
Forums: View My Profile - Search My Posts - View My Photo - View My Location - Top Community Posters
QNAP: Turbo NAS User Manual - QNAP Wiki - QNAP Tutorials - QNAP FAQs

Please review: When you're asking a question, please include the following.

royk
New here

Post by royk » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:55 pm

QNAPMike wrote:Dear Royk,

Your printer is not on the QNAP printer compatibility list.

see link below,

http://www.qnap.com/useng/index.php?lang=en-us&sn=4093

If the printer is not listed on the compatibility list. Most likely the printer will not work properly due to drivers.

Please use compatible printer on the list.

Tks.

That is odd Mike, it was working fine for more than 1 year with several firmware updates. But since 3.7.3 it is game over? :cry:

Can i go back to a older firmware?

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku » Tue Nov 06, 2012 6:59 pm

What older firmware you had installed before?

QNAP introduced this partial CUPS implementation not that long ago. It might be (read: is) required to re-configure the printers on the clients.

royk
New here

Post by royk » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:20 pm

I was on 3.6..... can i see that somewhere in a log?

doktornotor
Ask me anything

Post by doktornotor » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:36 pm

Probably not, QNAP does not maintain any proper changelogs, mostly just marketing blurb there.
I'm gone from this forum till QNAP stop wasting volunteers' time. Get help from QNAP helpdesk instead.
Warning: offensive signature and materials damaging QNAP reputation follow:
QNAP's FW security issues
QNAP's hardware compatibility list madness
QNAP's new logo competition
Dear QNAP, kindly fire your clueless incompetent forum "admin" And while at it, don't forget the webmaster!

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku » Tue Nov 06, 2012 8:10 pm

Double-check (or re-do) the printer installation as shown here: http://www.qnap.com/en/index.php?lang=en&sn=2720

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”