TS-870 Pro Upgrades

Printers, HDDs, USB/eSATA drives, 3rd-party programs
fasdf
Starting out

TS-870 Pro Upgrades

Post by fasdf »

Hello everyone,

I am planning on upgrading my TS-870 Pro's CPU and RAM.

I was thinking to upgrade to an Intel Core i7 3770K and for the RAM I was thinking to upgrade to a Corsair Vengeance 16GB High Performance Laptop Memory Upgrade Kit (CMSX16GX3M2B1600C9).
I may also upgrade the CPU cooler as well.

The only concern that I have is if the PSU is able to handle all these upgrades especially in full load state.

If anyone has experience in NAS upgrades I would be really grateful if he/she answers my question.
chodaboy19
Know my way around

Re: TS-870 Pro Upgrades

Post by chodaboy19 »

http://shop.qnap.com/index.php?route=pr ... duct_id=62

It's a 350W power supply. I think it should be quite adequate at handling the setup you are describing.

TVS-672N h5.0.1.2248 build 20221215
i7-8700T | 64GB DDR4 (2 x M471A4G43MB1-CTD) | 2 x Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1.0TB | 6 x 18TB HGST HC550
Gaudi
Easy as a breeze

Post by Gaudi »

There are plenty of threads discussing the upgrades.
And I do remember a very recent one.
Have you searched the forums?
sWORDs
Know my way around

Post by sWORDs »

Go for the T model, else the noise will make your ears bleed. ;)
This topic from page 11 on contains a lot of info:
http://forum.qnap.com/viewtopic.php?f=1 ... &start=150
TS-870 upgraded with i7 3770t and 16GB F3-1600C10D-16GSQ kit, replaced LAN-1G2T-D with Intel I350-T4.
6x 2TB Samsung HD203WI in RAID 5 with Samsung 480GB MZ7WD480HAGM-00003 as SSD Cache.
NAS firmware 4.2.0 Build 20150716.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

sWORDs wrote:Go for the T model, ...
Ford Model T ?
sWORDs wrote:...else the noise will make your ears bleed. ;)
Talking of desktop vs. rack mount unit?
sWORDs wrote:This topic from page 11 on contains a lot of info:
The link result massively differs, depending on the forum profile settings, i.e. display setting/sorting. Better reference a link to a single entry to start wit reading please.
fasdf
Starting out

Post by fasdf »

Thank you all for your replies.
Gaudi wrote:There are plenty of threads discussing the upgrades.
And I do remember a very recent one.
Have you searched the forums?
I am sorry Gaudi.You are right.I forgot to search the forum first.
schumaku wrote:
Ford Model T ?
I think he means the Intel Core i7 3370T.Unless you already knew that and you have been sarcastic and my reply to you will make me look completely stupid. :mrgreen: :lol:

sWORDs wrote:Go for the T model, else the noise will make your ears bleed. ;)
This topic from page 11 on contains a lot of info:
The use of a custom cooler wouldn't keep the noise low enough ?
sWORDs
Know my way around

Post by sWORDs »

I've replaced the fans, but the one in the PSU is still very loud.
schumaku wrote:
Ford Model T ?
sWORDs wrote:...else the noise will make your ears bleed. ;)
Talking of desktop vs. rack mount unit?
sWORDs wrote:This topic from page 11 on contains a lot of info:
The link result massively differs, depending on the forum profile settings, i.e. display setting/sorting. Better reference a link to a single entry to start wit reading please.
1) 3770K vs 3770T.
2) No strictly the tower unit.
3) He will manage with that link.
TS-870 upgraded with i7 3770t and 16GB F3-1600C10D-16GSQ kit, replaced LAN-1G2T-D with Intel I350-T4.
6x 2TB Samsung HD203WI in RAID 5 with Samsung 480GB MZ7WD480HAGM-00003 as SSD Cache.
NAS firmware 4.2.0 Build 20150716.
azzola
Getting the hang of things

Post by azzola »

Hi, today i'm receiving my Xeon E3-1265LV2, i have a backup of the entire NAS on external disks but i want to reduce as possible any problems changing the CPU unit, are there any suggested procedure to prevent problems during first boot etc or just change and reboot is necessary?

thx in advance.
Cris

PS: RAM is already upgraded to 16gigs but now i'm wondering to sell mine for an ECC type, do you have a model to suggest me, possibly tested. Thx again
TS-259 Pro+
TS-870 Pro (Upgraded to Xeon E3-1265L v2 and 16Gb RAM)
Montair

Post by Montair »

Just replace the cpu and reboot. You want to go into BIOS first to activate virtualization feature, but you can do that later on too.
TS-670 "Ultra" with i7-3770T, 2*8GB KVR16S11/8, 6*4TB HGST HUS724040ALE640, Firmware 4.3.3.00238
TS-EC1279U-RP, Firmware 4.3.3.00238
azzola

Post by azzola »

Thx Montair,
just finished, works like a charm :D , only had to spend some time disassembling and reassembling everything... .
Did a test with PLEX, CPU goes near 60% to real time transcode 4K 60Mbps GoPro Hero4 videos and send to my iPad Air, fluid and rapid response
TS-259 Pro+
TS-870 Pro (Upgraded to Xeon E3-1265L v2 and 16Gb RAM)
edddeduck
Starting out

Post by edddeduck »

Just thought I'd post as I have installed some Noctua 3000rpm fans, they are MUCH quieter under normal loads on my QNAP 870 running at ~900rpm with a ~40c CPU temp (it's in a fairly warm room and it has an upgraded i7 3770s CPU) however if you decide to run something that pegs all 4 cores at maximum then the fans do get noisy (server level noisy) at 3000rpm but they do easily keep the temperature of the CPU below the warning message at 60c when they have to kick in.

The improved CFM at low and high RPM is noticeable, you can feel the suction at the front of the QNAP and at 3000 RPM it feels like a desk fan breeze is being ** through the device.

All in all I am happy it's much quieter on normal usage and the fans higher CFM easily handles high loads keeping the system cooler than the stock fans even with the updated CPU. Hope this helps a few people.
The_Hawk
Starting out

Post by The_Hawk »

I got my TS-870 almost three years ago and upgraded the RAM the day I got it to 16GB. It was hard, but I managed to do it with my fat fingers without having to take anything off other than the outer case.

I already had the i3-3220 so it was a pretty decent machine already, but I've been watching out for an appropriate CPU for the last couple of years and when I stumbled across a i7-3770S for AU$140 (US $110) the need to tinker was just too much.

After everything I had read I expected it to be a little more complex (I don't know why exactly since I used to build my own PC's and have torn down and rebuilt more than my fair share of equipment over the years) but it was surprisingly straight forward. Done and dusted in just over an hour and it's back up and running again. I've only got 20 minutes run time under my belt at this point, but the VM's and services all seem to have come back up without problems so far!

So really, anyone how feels capable of installing a CPU in a standard machine shouldn't be scared, it's just a bunch of screws and then the same old same old of replacing a CPU.

I'm interested in what sort of temps people are getting with this CPU and what is safe? Especially given this is almost a passively cooled setup.

I was just running a video encode in a VM (which maxed out all the cores) and I'm seeing the system reporting temps of 77C... is this normal?

edit: I watched it for a bit longer to see what would happen. It seems that the system fans didn't feel the need to speed up even though the CPU was very hot... but after a couple of minutes the system heated up a bit too and the system fans ramped up to 1,700rpm and dropped the temps nicely (read more like 60C). So it seems that the passive cooler does work reasonably well as long as there is air flow. Mind you it's currently 15C ambient and more like 20C in the server rack in the garage where this lives so it will be interesting to watch how well this all works in summer when ambient can get up to 40C+

Assuming the CPU can survive a few minutes at those temps before the fans kick in it looks like it will be fine. Plan B would be to just tell the system to run them at full speed all the time. While it's in a rack in the garage excess power noise and wear would be nice to avoid.

Return to “Hardware & Software Compatibility”