can the NAS DOWNLOAD files via SFTP ?

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
McCloud
Starting out

can the NAS DOWNLOAD files via SFTP ?

Postby McCloud » Tue Feb 14, 2017 8:59 pm

Hey,

the Telnet/SSH option allows me to connect TO the NAS.

Does it work the 'other way' round ?

Is the NAS able to reach to a server / domain and DOWNLOAD files from it (and save them) via SFTP ?

We need to perform automated backups and download files from a server on the internet.

Or does it need to be configured from the other end, so that the server reaches the NAS via SSH and 'uploads' the backups to it automatically ?

Thanks!

OneCD
Experience counts

Re: can the NAS DOWNLOAD files via SFTP ?

Postby OneCD » Wed Feb 15, 2017 1:20 am

McCloud wrote:the Telnet/SSH option allows me to connect TO the NAS.

Does it work the 'other way' round ?

It sure does! :geek:
2017-07-15 - I've left this forum. I'm switching to a pure Debian environment for both my NAS. As a result, I'll no longer be able to use or support QNAP's firmware. This means no more QPKGs, closed-source software, "Malware Removers", etc ... so, I'm looking forward to it. ;)

To contact me, send a mail to one.cd.only@gmail.com. I'll still be a contributor on various other software-related forums so I might see you there.

Thank you to all community members who have participated in the many discussions - and to the regulars I saw here everyday (your advice has taught me a lot). I have also learned a great deal by assisting others, and hope many more members will do the same. :D

McCloud
Starting out

Postby McCloud » Wed Feb 15, 2017 3:58 pm

would I need to connect via SSH (and terminal on Mac) and configure it via commands ?

I got something like this:
wget -m ftp://<domain>/* --user='<username>' --password='<password>'

OneCD
Experience counts

Postby OneCD » Thu Feb 16, 2017 2:53 am

McCloud wrote:would I need to connect via SSH (and terminal on Mac) and configure it via commands ?

Yes, unless you could create a backup job in Backup Station to do this.

McCloud wrote:I got something like this:
wget -m ftp://<domain>/* --user='<username>' --password='<password>'

That may work but I can't check it. ;)

Here's a guide that may be useful for creating an SFTP connection.

To install the sftp binary, you'll first need to install the Entware-ng QPKG.

Then you can install sftp:

Code: Select all

opkg update; opkg install openssh-sftp-client

If your downloads will take a while, I suggest you use screen. This way, you can disconnect your SSH session and reconnect to it later.
2017-07-15 - I've left this forum. I'm switching to a pure Debian environment for both my NAS. As a result, I'll no longer be able to use or support QNAP's firmware. This means no more QPKGs, closed-source software, "Malware Removers", etc ... so, I'm looking forward to it. ;)

To contact me, send a mail to one.cd.only@gmail.com. I'll still be a contributor on various other software-related forums so I might see you there.

Thank you to all community members who have participated in the many discussions - and to the regulars I saw here everyday (your advice has taught me a lot). I have also learned a great deal by assisting others, and hope many more members will do the same. :D

McCloud
Starting out

Postby McCloud » Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:07 pm

perfect, thanks!

That's some really good info. The Backup Station and RTRR is probably what I was looking for the whole time :)

Return to “File Sharing”