Full reset/removal of USB permissions?

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
beargfr
Starting out

Full reset/removal of USB permissions?

Post by beargfr »

I have an attached USB drive whose permissions settings in control panel->shared folders appear messed up. By "messed up" I mean that no permissions are listed (the screen is blank) and the Guest Access drop down box contains a value of "-1" instead of any of the valid values. Nothing changes on the display when I attempt to add permissions or change the guest access setting. I believe I need to "clear everything" for this drive and start over.

BTW, the drive is NTFS formatted and erasing/reformatting it is not an option.

Does anyone know how to completely remove/clear all of the QNAP's knowledge of this device so I can start over with configuring it?
Thanks,
Rob
(I'd attach a screen shot, but I'm getting: "Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached")
schumaku
Guru

Re: Full reset/removal of USB permissions?

Post by schumaku »

Is this USB disk shared under the USBdisk[n], like USBdisk1, or under it's volume label?

In either case, I would suggest to
- eject and unplug the USB disk
- from an ssh session, remove the complete section ie. for [USBdisk1] from the /etc/config/smb.conf
- check if the smb.conf file is obviously messed up, ie breaking the structure, holding obviously different data blocks.
- restart SAMBA (/etc/init.d/smb.sh restart)
- plug the HDD again
- re-adjust the access rights
- reboot if things are fine to ensure the other services will pick up the new rights

Don't worry for the data - while having "just" the one copy on this HDD what is not the greatest idea - the shared folder access rights for external storage are held on the shared folder level only.

Regards,
-Kurt

PS. "ERROR - Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached." is reported to the QNAP admins, thank you for the notification!

Return to “File Sharing”