TS-451A - Upload Speed

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
FilRibeiro
New here

TS-451A - Upload Speed

Post by FilRibeiro »

Hi. I'm facing the following problem: when i share a file from my QNAP NAS, the person who downloads the file only can reach 700/800 Kb/s of download speed. I have 100 Mbt of upload speed, so i was expecting aprox. 10 M/s of download speed! There is any configuration that is limiting the upload speed?

Thanks in advance!
OneCD
Guru

Re: TS-451A - Upload Speed

Post by OneCD »

Hi and welcome to the forum. :)

Is the person "downloading" this file within your LAN? Or are they accessing the shared file from the Internet?

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
FilRibeiro
New here

Post by FilRibeiro »

Hi.

The donwloads are made over the internet, not throught the LAN.
I have sent to more than one person, and all of them have 100 Mbts fibre internet.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

If it was me, I'd set up a PC as a temporary file-server, then ask my friend to download a large file from it and measure the speed.

This might help show whether there's a bottleneck between my LAN and my friend's LAN.

But then, we buy these NAS with the ability to share files with friends so we don't have to build our own file-servers. ;)

Maybe another forum member can suggest something here? I'm not sure how to proceed.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
zagan
Starting out

Post by zagan »

100 MBps is 1 meg a second, they'd probably be getting the max speed anyway.

for 10 meg a second uploading, you'd need an 1 GBps upload connection
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

zagan wrote:100 MBps is 1 meg a second,
Can you please demonstrate your math? ;)

schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Please clearly differentiate the units. a 100 Mb/s Internet connection has a theoretical throughput of 12.5 MB/s - however, this is always best effort, numbers can vay depending on the network load, on router capability, on protocols used, ...
FilRibeiro wrote:when i share a file from my QNAP NAS, the person who downloads the file only can reach 700/800 Kb/s of download speed.
Most OS show kB/s or MB/s on file transfers. b/s (bits/second) are mostly used on the transmission, router, or ISP level. If these 700...800 kb/s would be true, these are just 90 ... 100 kB/s - ways below of what should be possible.

But then - how do you share these files? Are these direct connection URLs like [whatevername].myqnapcloud.com or is there CloudLink in the game?

What kind of Internet connection is in the play? By far not all ISP are offering symmetrical speed. While real fibre (FTTH - direct fibre connection to your home router) can offer symmetric services, technologies like FTTB (just fibre to the building) or FTTN (just fibre to the node) with the "last mile" set-up using some kind of DSL or Cable TV in general (DOCSIS), the uplink (home -> Internet) can be (much)slower than the marketing number of your Internet "surfing" performance (Internet -> home).

Return to “File Sharing”