Cant see my TS-509 Pro anymore since 4.2.6

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
beaudster
New here

Cant see my TS-509 Pro anymore since 4.2.6

Post by beaudster »

Hello!

Before I start, I tried searching the forums for my specific issue and I couldn't find anyone with a TS-509 pro with the exact same issue.

I have a QNAP TS 509-PRO since day 1 and I love this thing to death (cost me a pretty penny too) I never had a single issue with it in the last 10 years, but now, since I upgraded to QTS 4.2.6 all hell broke loose.

None of my web services work, non of my SMB shares are accessible to any other computer of even upnp/DLNA devices on my LAN, NOTHING, it does not even show up in my workgroup anymore.

The ONLY way I could get any semblance of "normalness" was if I reverted to the original firmware that came on my CD ( TS-509_2.1.1_Build_090122.img) With this firmware everything works, but everything is really ugly and old and outdated (and probably not secure)

The moment I upgraded to 4.2.6, then everything that could go wrong, went wrong....

all my SMB shares are busted, cant connect to my movies folder from any machine, QNAP is 100% invisible to my network workgroup, all the web based applications refuse to launch (receive an error message that says "To use this function, please upgrade the system firmware with the image file enclosed on the product CD) ...

Can anyone give me access to an older QTS TS-509 pro firmware where SMB still works? or show me how to make it work with 4.2.6?

I really need help with this and I hope someone can help me, I cam pretty desperate...

thank you in advance.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Cant see my TS-509 Pro anymore since 4.2.6

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

what was the previous firmware you updated from firstly? :'

if you wait years before you updated, i'm not surprised something broke. at some point during the firmware updates, there were side notes about updating to a specific fw version BEFORE updating to the next qts tier version. i can't remember them all. But i don't have to since i regularly update at least a week to a month after a new firmware is released.

Why you should not use old firmware (the only time you rollback or use an older firmware if the latest firmware has issues. But even then people tend to use only a SLIGHTLY older firmware, not to the point you are reintroducing some exploits that got patched). your NAS will get hacked
https://www.qnap.com/en/security-advisory

solution:
hope you have a backup. Then you can reinitialize to do a clean NAS setup, then recover from backup (this is what i do when i run into big issues like this). A standalone NAS is not a backup.

i also got a ts-509 pro that is still working with the latest firmware. you can change the smb 1 to smb 2 via SSH
viewtopic.php?f=144&t=141165&p=670291&h ... b2#p670291

*update

first try see if you can ssh into your qnap and change from smb1 to smb2 FIRST :' see if that helps.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
beaudster
New here

Post by beaudster »

Thanks for your reply Moogle, I appreciate the time you give me :-)

I don't have a backup unfortunately, and I only reverted back to the original firmware to confirm that the issue was not hardware related but, OS related. I didn't jump any updates, I always updated with the latest new update when they were available.

I did a full "NAS Reinitialize" while on 4.2.6 thinking it would help, but it did not.

I don't even see SMB as an option anymore in 4.2.6, it has completely dissapeared (and my issue is not the SMB windows 10 removal, I re-enabled SMB1 everywhere on all my win 10 desktops and it works great and I can confirm with my goflex NAS that works exclusively on SMB1)

I guess my question is this, how can I map myself to my Qmultimedia folder from a windows 10 desktop? (find a way to re-enable SMB? or other technique?)

I would hate to throw away a perfectly good TS-509 pro (which I upgraded the RAM and CPU years ago and its been working really great since that hardware upgrade)

oh and and just so everyone knows, I am not familiar with "ssh" and using "putty" so please be gentle, that is uncharted territory for me. All the instructions I see in the forums about re-enabling SMB via SSH seem to take into account that you know what you are doing in ssh. I need ultra noob basic idiot proof instructions, I can reach the command prompt but is pretty much it, if I try any of the command lines I saw I get an error message (cant find...)

would a kind soul tell me the steps in a way that a complete tard like myself would understand?

thanks!!
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

beaudster wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:35 pm Thanks for your reply Moogle, I appreciate the time you give me :-)

I don't have a backup unfortunately, and I only reverted back to the original firmware to confirm that the issue was not hardware related but, OS related. I didn't jump any updates, I always updated with the latest new update when they were available.

I did a full "NAS Reinitialize" while on 4.2.6 thinking it would help, but it did not.

I don't even see SMB as an option anymore in 4.2.6, it has completely dissapeared (and my issue is not the SMB windows 10 removal, I re-enabled SMB1 everywhere on all my win 10 desktops and it works great and I can confirm with my goflex NAS that works exclusively on SMB1)
all i know in regards to smb, is that for the ts-509 pro you can switch it from SMB1 to SMB2. There is no UI toggle for this. You have to change it via SSH.
beaudster wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:35 pm I guess my question is this, how can I map myself to my Qmultimedia folder from a windows 10 desktop? (find a way to re-enable SMB? or other technique?)
well a few ways.

1. you can setup mapped network drive use qfinder there is an option for this
2. create a shortcut (change target) pointing to the share on your QNAP e.g.

Code: Select all

\\192.168.166
OR

Code: Select all

\\YourNASNAME

make sure in windows 10 credential manager, that you added credentials for your QNAP.

beaudster wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:35 pm I would hate to throw away a perfectly good TS-509 pro (which I upgraded the RAM and CPU years ago and its been working really great since that hardware upgrade)
performance wise it's slower than my TS-877. But it's still decent enough that i use it as my backup NAS. There is even security patches added up to 2020-12
https://www.qnap.com/en/product/eol.php

but even after then, you can always add a usb stick and install unraid and boot up from there as a replacement for QTS once the ts-509 pro finally becomes unsupported.

beaudster wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:35 pm oh and and just so everyone knows, I am not familiar with "ssh" and using "putty" so please be gentle, that is uncharted territory for me.
install winscp and putty
https://ninite.com/

then using putty you login to the NAS using your credentials then just follow the guide in the link i posted earlier.

Later when you are done with SSH, disable SSH in QTS it's somewhere under networking. Only enable when you intend to use. If you tried to SSH but didn't work, make sure you enable ssh.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
beaudster
New here

Post by beaudster »

I can reach the command prompt in SSH, but when I try a simple command like: smb2status

I get:

"/usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd" ... not found.

I am screwed aren't I? :-(
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

beaudster wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 8:54 pm I can reach the command prompt in SSH, but when I try a simple command like: smb2status

I get:

"/usr/local/samba/sbin/smbd" ... not found.

I am screwed aren't I? :-(
i'm just wondering did you manage to login into ssh? it will ask you for your password :'

anyway best make a ticket helpdesk :( they will know more than me
https://helpdesk.qnap.com/
NAS

Network

Resources
beaudster
New here

Post by beaudster »

Yep I got prompted for username and password! afterwards I reached some type of command prompt, I tried to run : alias smb3enable='/etc/init.d/smb2_protocol.sh enable 3' but it did not do anything :-(

I opened a ticket and we will see what they have to say (hopefully it wont be a "tough cookies kid, that thing is old buy a new one)

Thanks Moogle.
roxyjenkins
First post

Post by roxyjenkins »

I had this identical issue today. I updated my FW to the newest version, 4.2.6 build 20200421, and I lost all access to my shares, and all the applications in my control panel returned an error telling me I needed to insert an installation disk in order to use them.

All I did was manually downgrade the firmware in the Qfinder software interface back to 4.2.6 build 20200109 and everything went back to normal.

Return to “File Sharing”