How to change file/folder owner using File station

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
pavel.niedoba
Starting out

How to change file/folder owner using File station

Post by pavel.niedoba »

I have files created by different users in one folder. I would like to change ownership of all this files to one user. I know how to do it in cli (chmod -R user .) but I would prefer not to ssh as admin. When I display properties of file I can see the owner, I just don't know how to change it from browser using File station
Spider99
Experience counts

Re: How to change file/folder owner using File station

Post by Spider99 »

ownership can be changed in "shared folders>folder permissions" section of gui
Tim

TS-853A(16GB): - 4.3.4.0483 - Static volume - Raid5 - 8 x 4TB HGST Deskstar NAS
Windows Server + StableBit Drivepool and Scanner ~115 TB Backup Server
TS-412 & TS-459 Pro II: Retired
Clients: 3 x Windows 10 Pro(64bit)
steve271
First post

Post by steve271 »

I can't see how to change file/folder owner using "shared folders>folder permissions".

Does 'enable advanced permissions" have to be enabled? It is not really clear what this does.

Thanks

Steve
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

steve271 wrote:I can't see how to change file/folder owner using "shared folders>folder permissions".
Curious: What do you want to achieve - and why? Aware a NAS without Advanced Folder Permissions has 777 on all files and folders, and 666 on all folders?

If you can't resist ... Shared Folders -> choose the Action "Edit Shared Folder Permissions" (the "share folder" icon):
Edit Shared Folder Permissions.PNG
steve271 wrote:Does 'enable advanced permissions" have to be enabled? It is not really clear what this does.
This does mount all the volumes with ACL support, does deploy ACLs an all folders and files according to the shared folder access rights, and slightly lock down the U**X protection masks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

pavel.niedoba wrote:I have files created by different users in one folder. I would like to change ownership of all this files to one user. I know how to do it in cli (chmod -R user .) but I would prefer not to ssh as admin. When I display properties of file I can see the owner, I just don't know how to change it from browser using File station
Right click - Properties ... to the Access Rights (the "Key") ... then scroll down (wonders of average UI design) ... and then you find the Owner field:
Change Owner.PNG
Painful experience if you want to change many files ... as it does not allow changing multiple files/folders selected unfortunately.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
outsch
Starting out

Post by outsch »

Hi schumaku,

you had posted a screenshot of the details of the folder access permissions dialogue, but that lower part of the dialogue does not appear on my screen. When the dialogue loads, one can see it for a very short moment at the bottom, then screen re-adjusts and it ends after the list of permissions in the right pane as one can see in the screenshot. Also when I look to an external USB drive, the red warning message about subfolder appears only partially.
FolderDialogue.JPG
Do you have any idea why that grey part at the bottom of the dialogue appears in your screenshot but does not appear in mine? I have tried with different browsers and resolution suspecting it may be a layout issue, but it's just not working.

Any idea?

Return to “File Sharing”