Home/Homes folders

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
StardustOne
Know my way around

Home/Homes folders

Post by StardustOne »

What I find super annoying and I do not understand why this homes share concept requires the users to login.

My scenario is, I want to set it up for the family, so I create the users one by one. And then I enable the home folder feature.

Since I already used my NAS many years already, I have not had the homes folder for me. So I have lots of other shared folders and want to move everything now to the homes folder that belongs to me using File Station 5. But the homes folder structure is not there. So I need now to login to this NAS from my PC, then I get this homes share with my user name.

What is the logic behind "the user gets his homes share folder after he logs in"? Why can't QNAP not automatically create these folders under the homes structure. Is this so difficult?

I find this concept highly illogical anyways, and it would really help not only me but also others if once the home folder feature is activated, the NAS then gets the homes folder structure created for all these users that are already defined as users for this NAS.

I understand, new user after the feature is enabled, only would get the homes share after they login, but for what is already configured, these users should get this share created as soon as the home folder feature is enabled. It would also confirm for the admin who is not an IT Pro that this function did work properly. Because that was also the main problem with me, I did not understand what is going on and expected those homes/users folders to be there after I enabled this feature on my NAS.

Plus, the home folder structure for a user gets not created if a user logs in, this is not the case.

It only gets created after a user has create one single file on his home share, this is also not logical, I login, I want to have the structure created in my QNAP NAS, not after I have done a file copy or create one on my PC on this shared home folder. That did also confuse me a lot and I was wondering, is this now working? I logged in, then got connected, then wanted to see the structure created in the NAS, not there.

Ah okay I found the problem, since I am an admin, after the homes share feature has been enabled, my admin user does not have access. Okay, one more thing that is amazingly complex and I cannot understand this, would I not expect since I am an admin to automatically get granted access to all new created folders? I am maybe a bit too critical about all this, but these are functions that I expect from a NAS, since I am the admin.

And it would also be good to remove the default user from accessing the homes folder, would this not be better for security? But this is another topic.

Return to “File Sharing”