Windows 10. Can't Access NAS Through File Explorer

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
brantonomous
New here

Windows 10. Can't Access NAS Through File Explorer

Post by brantonomous »

I just recently purchased the TS-253D for use as a Plex Media Server that I will operate from my home. This is my first time attempting to set up a network storage device and I'm confused as to how I'm supposed to make the device accessible on my home network. If I click on 'Network' in File Explorer and try to open my NAS, I am asked to enter my network credentials, where I enter my PIN. In yellow, underneath the login it reads, "The system cannot contact a domain controller to service the authentication request. Please try again later." When I do enter my PIN, a new dialog box appears saying the NAS is not accessible. It reads, "You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. We can't sign you in with this credential because your domain isn't available. make sure your device is connected to your organization's network and try again. If you previously signed in on this device with another credential, you can sign in with that credential."

The only thing I can imagine is causing the problem is that I bought my Windows key via my job at the University of Utah and my account is tied to my university email address. I don't know what kind of domain permissions I even have with my account, or if I have that wrong entirely and my account is just like any normal Windows account. Regardless, I can't access my NAS over my home network in order to transfer the needed files to build my Plex server. Additionally, if I try to open Plex through QTS (via Mozilla FireFox) I am met with a "secure connection failed" error page and I'm not sure how to resolve that issue either. I would appreciate any help as I am very new to this process. I hope to hear back from someone soon. Thank you.

I have reached out to QNAP and opened a service ticket with them, but I haven't heard anything in over 8 hours now. They asked me for screenshots of the error messages I've received and it's been silent since then. I've attached the two messages I receive when trying to access the NAS here.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by OneCD on Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: attached image removed as it contained personally identifiable information
Mousetick
Experience counts

Re: Windows 10. Can't Access NAS Through File Explorer

Post by Mousetick »

First, you may want to remove or edit your first screenshot, because it shows your email address at university. Someone may use it for nefarious purposes. For example, to contact you impersonating as QNAP support and asking you to set up a remote assistance session on your Windows computer...

Second, the network authentication issue looks like a purely Windows configuration issue. I'm guessing your computer is joined to your university domain. You need to ask your university's IT lab for help with this, so you can use your computer at home without it being tied to the university domain.

Can you at least access the QTS administration web UI from your browser? Using http? Using https?
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

Mousetick wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:58 am First, you may want to remove or edit your first screenshot, because it shows your email address at university.
Done. :geek:

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

you can normally use local accounts by adding a "\" in front of your username

so
\localnasuser
localnasuserpassword
brantonomous
New here

Post by brantonomous »

Mousetick wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:58 am First, you may want to remove or edit your first screenshot, because it shows your email address at university. Someone may use it for nefarious purposes. For example, to contact you impersonating as QNAP support and asking you to set up a remote assistance session on your Windows computer...

Second, the network authentication issue looks like a purely Windows configuration issue. I'm guessing your computer is joined to your university domain. You need to ask your university's IT lab for help with this, so you can use your computer at home without it being tied to the university domain.

Can you at least access the QTS administration web UI from your browser? Using http? Using https?
Ah, didn't think of that. Thank you for pointing that out.

I can in fact access QTS, but that's all I can do. I had the thought to call our IT group and see if they can do anything so I'll probably do that tomorrow. Thanks for confirming!
brantonomous
New here

Post by brantonomous »

OneCD wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 11:04 am
Mousetick wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:58 am First, you may want to remove or edit your first screenshot, because it shows your email address at university.
Done. :geek:
Appreciate it! Pardon my ignorance.
Bangalore
New here

Post by Bangalore »

Try enabling SMB1.0 in Windows features.
That did the trick for me.
Mousetick
Experience counts

Post by Mousetick »

Bangalore wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 6:11 pm Try enabling SMB1.0 in Windows features.
That did the trick for me.
Bad idea in general. There's a good reason it's disabled by default in Windows 10. It's unsecure, has actively exploited security holes, and performs poorly. It's now disabled too by default in recent versions of Samba.

It may be necessary to enable it in order to connect to ancient Windows computers (Windows Vista, Windows Server 2003, and previous versions) or devices running ancient versions of Samba (3.5 or earlier), which don't support SMB 2.0 or greater.

It's absolutely not required to connect to Samba on current QNAP NASes (the OP has a TS-253D), and should be avoided.
brantonomous
New here

Post by brantonomous »

Thanks for all the input.

This particular issue has been resolved and I'm successfully dragging files onto the NAS now.

I have a separate PLEX media server issue now and I'll attempt to solve that in a different thread.
kobekes
First post

Post by kobekes »

brantonomous wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 7:10 am This particular issue has been resolved and I'm successfully dragging files onto the NAS now.
Can you add your solution here for other users? I have the same problem :(

Return to “File Sharing”