network recycle bin not working

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
frueter
Starting out

network recycle bin not working

Post by frueter »

Hi,

I just accidentally deleted a file in a shared folder on my TS-879 Pro. I checked the @Recycle folder via FileStation but it's empty.
The network recycle bin is enabled in the system settings with a 30 day retention period and the settings for the shared folder also confirm that the recycle bin is enabled.
What am I missing?
Firmware 4.3.6.1663

Cheers,
frank
dolbyman
Guru

Re: network recycle bin not working

Post by dolbyman »

If you deleted a whole share..the recycle bin would not help

if the "delete files" was not ticked, you can recreate the share and manually look for the storage location

otherwise..backups have should be done
frueter
Starting out

Post by frueter »

>>If you deleted a whole share..the recycle bin would not help
I don't know what that has to do with my question? A single file on that share was deleted and I expeceted to find it in @Recycle, that is all.

>>if the "delete files" was not ticked, you can recreate the share and manually look for the storage location
I don't konw where that option is, and again, I don't need to recreate a share anyway.

>>otherwise..backups have should be done
We do take nightly backups, but this was a new file that we were workign on that was accidentally deleted, which ic exeactly what the recycle bin should be for, right?
Except it doesn't seem to work for some reason.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Oh I read you deleted a share not a file in a share .. sorry misread (so forget about the recreate option)

i never got that recycle bin to work unless I used filestation (Web GUI) to delete/move files

Via SMB the recycle bin gets skipped (at least on all my systems) and files get deleted right away
frueter
Starting out

Post by frueter »

Ok, thanks for confirming, I feel a little less stupid now.
That makes this a very lame feature, doesn't it?!
We mount shares via smb, nfs and afp. I wonder if it is possible to get thi s to work for all those.
BigRedBrent
Starting out

Post by BigRedBrent »

frueter wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:22 am Ok, thanks for confirming, I feel a little less stupid now.
That makes this a very lame feature, doesn't it?!
We mount shares via smb, nfs and afp. I wonder if it is possible to get thi s to work for all those.
Very lame feature indeed. Without support for those, it is basically useless.

As far as I can tell, this works if you set highest SMB version to 2.1 in the advanced Microsoft Networking settings in the Win/Mac/NFS section. It doesn't seem to work with SMB 3 for some odd reason.
QNAP TS-873A
V-Color 64GB ECC DDR4 2666MHz (TES432G26D819K-VC)
ASUS GeForce GTX 1050 Ti 4GB Phoenix Fan Edition
frueter
Starting out

Post by frueter »

Thanks. The nfs and afp mounts are actually the most important ones for us, the SMB mount is only used by an IT box to serve up various things to the rest of the network.
Thisisnotmyname
Easy as a breeze

Post by Thisisnotmyname »

frueter wrote: Sun Sep 19, 2021 12:40 pm Thanks. The nfs and afp mounts are actually the most important ones for us, the SMB mount is only used by an IT box to serve up various things to the rest of the network.
Even Apple now recommends people use SMB over AFP. Unless you have something which absolutely requires the use of AFP (Time Machine does not anymore, it works over SMB) I'd drop the AFP and go with SMB instead. AFP is effectively deprecated by Apple at this point.
frueter
Starting out

Post by frueter »

Oh, good to know, thanks, I will try that

Return to “File Sharing”