TS-231 very slow network transfers with small files

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
Flinx
Starting out

TS-231 very slow network transfers with small files

Post by Flinx »

Windows 10 21H1 (updated about 1 week ago). Problem existed before updating to this version.
1 or 2 gig mp4 file transfers at gigbit speeds.
If I select a large number of jpg's network speed may go from 2 MB/s then pauses, drops to 1.34 MB/s (or something like that) then pauses, then may jump back up to 2.5 MB/s then drops to 0, then goes up to 500 Kb/s and so on time remaining for 200 files at 920 MB says 21 minutes.

Sometimes it will start out pretty fast like 22 Mb/s then quickly drops to nothing or may jump up to 35 MB/s or even 70 MB/s then drops to 1.81 MB/s.

same copy just 2 minutes later:

same with 19 files.
same with 7 files at 31 megs.
10 random sized and types of files copied to the same folder exhibits the same behavior, but 1 1.2 gig video files does not and transfers at 105 MB/s.

I am not sure when I first noticed this, possibly several weeks ago.

during the copying of the files when it got to 10 mp4 files mixed in with the jpg files ranging from 28 to 514 megs the copying speed shot up dramatically.

what is going on here?!
dawsonkm
Getting the hang of things

Re: TS-231 very slow network transfers with small files

Post by dawsonkm »

This isnt atypical for copying small files. Seems normal to me
TS-431X2 QTS 4.4.3.1439 - Static Vol 4 x 8TB Hdd Raid 5 Using 10GBE
TS-431X2 QTS 4.4.3.1439 - Static Vol 4 x 8TB Hdd Raid 5 Using 10GBE
TS-431P2 QTS 4.4.3.1439 - Static Vol 4 x 8TB Hdd Raid 5
TS-431P2 QTS 4.4.3.1439 - Static Vol 4 x 8TB Hdd Raid 5
TVS-1282T QTS 4.5.4.2012- Static Vol 8 x 16TB Hdd Raid 6, Static Vol 4 X 8TB SSD Raid 5 Using 10GBE
Flinx
Starting out

Post by Flinx »

well I worked in IT for 22 years and had to copy and move files all over the place on peoples networks and while small files do copy slower. I have never seen copying this slow, also it only occurs copying to my qnap, not to a USB drive, not to another network computer, and not when copying from my qnap. I have another NAS made by synology that copies slower (with small files) than I would like but nowhere near as slow as the qnap, and the synology doesn't just stop or pause for almost a minute like the qnap (and cpu usage on the qnap is not unusual at the time).

I also did not have this issue with my qnap with windows 7.
jesper.j.h
New here

Post by jesper.j.h »

I have an issue with a TS-420U, perhaps similar to your problem. When copying small files it takes forever, like 100 small (less than 30 kb each) takes 30-45 seconds to copy to shared folder. This is not normal. The funny thing is, when I set Guest Access Right to "Read Only" on the shared folder, the same copy operation takes only 1-3 seconds to complete. Obviously this is not a solution because I don't wan't everybody to have access to the shared folder on the network.

Perhaps same issue for you? Can you test this?
Flinx
Starting out

Post by Flinx »

jesper.j.h wrote: Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:58 pm I have an issue with a TS-420U, perhaps similar to your problem. When copying small files it takes forever, like 100 small (less than 30 kb each) takes 30-45 seconds to copy to shared folder. This is not normal. The funny thing is, when I set Guest Access Right to "Read Only" on the shared folder, the same copy operation takes only 1-3 seconds to complete. Obviously this is not a solution because I don't wan't everybody to have access to the shared folder on the network.

Perhaps same issue for you? Can you test this?
My guest access was already set to full access (my network is private so it does not matter).
I changed it to Read only, and Deny access and tried copying after each change. there was no difference.

I noticed that when I was copying files the media server that I had enabled (a while ago) was reporting that it was scanning files. since I don't really use this I disabled it.
somehow in all of this one of my folders lost all it's shared folder permissions, even though I did not remove them, and I had to add them back.

nothing changed in copy speeds.
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

Over many decades of copying files, many small files copy much slower than fewer large files. At one point I use to have a script that would zip-copy-unzip.

One factor *could* be any antivirus scanners you may have running on source, target or both. (Or anything else than processes inbound or outbound file transfers)
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
Flinx
Starting out

Post by Flinx »

dosborne wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:28 am Over many decades of copying files, many small files copy much slower than fewer large files. At one point I use to have a script that would zip-copy-unzip.

One factor *could* be any antivirus scanners you may have running on source, target or both. (Or anything else than processes inbound or outbound file transfers)
as stated before I have copied files many times on many networks over many years and never ever seen copying this slow for small files especially jpgs.
I have tried disabling virus scanning etc. but the issue only happens with copying to my qnap.
cat6 cables and gigabit switch.
Flinx
Starting out

Post by Flinx »

recently I pulled out one of my old laptops with windows 7 on it. hooked it up to a wired gigabit connection and disabled wireless. I then transferred a pile of jpeg files from it to the qnap and the speed was the same as for transferring mp4 files. so the issue seems to be with windows 10. still cannot find a solution.
Flinx
Starting out

Post by Flinx »

after googling and trying many many fixes I finally got my issue fixed, problem is I am not sure exactly how.

originally I though this problem was mostly something with the QNAP, but several months ago I got an app on my phone called CX file explorer, which can be setup to access network drives. I noticed that when I copied jpgs to my NAS from the phone on USB it crawled. but when I copied them from the phone over WIFI it was screaming fast. Well that means the problem is with windows.

everything was still working poorly for small file transfers up until a couple days ago. still having absurdly slow transfer rates below 10kbps. I had rebooted several times in the days before because of an unrelated issue and speeds were still slow. then I read on some other forum a suggestion to create a new profile. well I wasn't going to do that because my profile is highly modified and getting it the way I like would take days.

so I tested the transfer speed (still absurdly slow) logged out, then logged in as my wife (who had never logged in to my computer). mapped a drive and tested the transfer rate. it was blazing fast instead of crawling, and stopping it was up around 450 KBps (for small files).

I logged back in as myself and my transfer rate was back to what I would consider normal. where the day before a folder with all sorts of files that was 4 gigs was going to take several hours to copy it now copied in minutes.

Return to “File Sharing”