QTS 5.0.0.1828 & Slow SMB Transfer Times

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
Laquey
First post

QTS 5.0.0.1828 & Slow SMB Transfer Times

Post by Laquey »

Hello QNAPers,

Just upgraded my old TS-431P to a TS-431P3 Using all the old infrastructure, switch, router, client devices etc. File transfers went smoothly but slowly and after I've started using the NAS it seems like single SMB file transfers are hard limited to between 50-60 MB/s on my system.

My old 431P could max out my desktops NIC out at 112 MB/s using 1 GB / 2 Cores and four 6 TB WD reds. The current set up is 8GB / 4 Cores and 4 10 TB WD Red Pluses. The NAS responds a lot faster to requests than the old one does it just seems file transfer has been impacted.

I did some testing on the system and if I run multiple SFTP transfer streams I can get up to 90 MB/s on the system which maxes out the CPU as SFTP is encrypted so it's no the network that's the issue but I think it's something with QTS 5?

The disks also spin at 200MB/s each under testing so it's not the disk subsystem for sustained writes.

Has anyone else seen this behaviour? Are there any fixes at this stage?
dr_jon
Easy as a breeze

Re: QTS 5.0.0.1828 & Slow SMB Transfer Times

Post by dr_jon »

It's been a little while but as a TS-431P3 owner as of about an hour I'm, interested. (My 4th Qnap but the first plastic one. Cheap tho...)
Did you get anywhere with this, and did you try both Ethernet connectors? (I think I have to use the 1G anyway, as I'll want WoL.)
Thanks
TS-453A, TS-253A, TS-431P3, TS-419P+, hopefully that's it for a while...

Return to “File Sharing”