Shared Folders or Folders

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
Trunkmonkey
New here

Shared Folders or Folders

Post by Trunkmonkey »

I am experiencing the same confusion as the OP.

I'm very new to Linux and this is my first NAS (TS-453D). I have my storage all set and my next goal is to move all of the media libraries from Win10 to the QNAP. I created a Volume called "Media Library". Within that my goal was to make a separate folder for music, videos, pictures, documents. So I created 4 shared folders.
filestation.png
Then I mapped network drives on my windows pc to each folder so I can access my media files easily through windows from the NAS.
The first media I am attempting to move is my music collection. I archived it all into a 7zip file and copied to the Music folder I created on the NAS. Why do all 4 folders show the exact same contents? I have only copied the archive to the music folder, and yet it appears in ALL four folders. I think I'm missing an important concept here and would really appreciate an explanation. Also, how do I accomplish what I am trying to do, which is basically transfer over all of my Windows Libraries over to the QNAP.

Thanks in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
OneCD
Guru

Re: Shared Folders or Folders

Post by OneCD »

* topic split from viewtopic.php?f=185&t=128688 *

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
Trunkmonkey
New here

Post by Trunkmonkey »

This is a better screenshot of the situation.
filestation.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
spile
Been there, done that

Post by spile »

I don’t think there is a one size fits all solution. I have separate shares for each user (using QSync) on my system. Then another one for music. Another for multimedia than contains photos and videos. Another for my backups. Another for QVRPro. YMMV

Return to “File Sharing”