Is NFS the best option to stream videos from QNAP to Pi (Kodi)?

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
LainB
Starting out

Is NFS the best option to stream videos from QNAP to Pi (Kodi)?

Post by LainB »

Is there a better option to stream videos from a QNAP TVS-872X-I5-32GB to a Pi 4B 8GB (LibreElec 10/Kodi) than add source NFS?

I was doing some testing last night and I'm not sure if I'm getting peak performance.

Viewing a 4K movie (6GB file):

Using a local USB HDD (3TB 7200rpm drive), when I jump forward 40min after starting the movie it takes 15 seconds to catch up.

Using NFS from the QNAP (2x 12TB, 4TB media volume, 7200rpm drive in Raid 1, low sync priority), when I jump forward 40min after starting the movie it takes 22 seconds to catch up.

Using SMB from the QNAP(7200rpm drive in Raid 1, low sync priority), when I jump forward 40min after starting the movie it takes 33 seconds to catch up.

So NFS is faster than SMB. But is NFS running at peak performance because it's taking 22 seconds vs 15 seconds from a local USB HDD.
I have a 1Gbps network, all hardwired.
Also, there is only that 1 movie file on the 12TB Raid 1 while I'm testing, no other files.

My drives have a performance test of 230MB/s, when I jump 40min I can see the network adapter send rate in QNAP Resource Monitor jumps to 95MB/s until it catches up and then drops low when it starts playing again, so I don't think I'm maxing my drives out.

1 Gbps network looks like it should be able to handle 125MB/s, so it looks like I'm missing about 25% of my speed if I go my the network adapter info in QNAP.

When I copied the movie file from the Pi (USB HDD) to the NAS (NFS), Kodi showed a write speed of about 40-60MB/s in the top corner, so way below what a 1Gbps networks should be able to do.

I haven't tried playing the movie yet to see if there's shuttering or pausing, it was late last night when I got it setup and ran these tests.

Dose that sound like NFS is slower than it should be?

Return to “File Sharing”