Migrate Plex Media Server folder from existing NAS to new NAS

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
Grizzer0117
New here

Migrate Plex Media Server folder from existing NAS to new NAS

Post by Grizzer0117 »

Hello,
I have upgraded from a Qnap TS-251B (old NAS) to a TS-653D (new NAS). I am trying to migrate my Plex Media Server (PMS) Metadata to the new NAS. Before migrating I ensured both the old and new NAS are using QTS and have the same firmware and also made sure they have the same Plex Media Server build number. I enabled ssh on the old and new NAS and was able to connect using FileZilla via sftp (I have a mac so I can't use WinSCP). I copied the Plex Media Server folder from the old NAS to my computer with no problem. I tried to overwrite the Plex Media Server folder on the new NAS and received a Write (permission denied) error. I also tried to delete the existing Plex Media Server folder on the new NAS with the same result...Write (permission denied) error. I even tried to change the attributes for the Plex Media Server folder with the same result...Write (permission denied) error. All of these attempts were made while logged into the server through FileZilla with my admin name and password and used port 22. I looked in the control panel of the new NAS to see if there is a setting somewhere but only have settings for shared folders. I need write access to the Plex Media Server folder that is located at /share/CACHEDEV1_DATA/.qpkg/PlexMediaServer/Library/Plex media Server. Is there something that I am missing?
Screen Shot 2022-05-15 at 9.00.17 AM.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Grizzer0117 on Sun May 15, 2022 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Migrate Plex Media Server folder from existing NAS to new NAS

Post by dolbyman »

Is your user admin or just a member if the admin group?

make sure it is admin
Grizzer0117
New here

Post by Grizzer0117 »

I believe it is admin. When I setup the NAS I created a user: Adm1n and gave administrative rights.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

yeah..use the actual admin..not some other account and try again
Grizzer0117
New here

Post by Grizzer0117 »

Thanks dolbyman, it worked! I did try logging in with admin from the start but the "default" password wasn't working. Turns out my default password for admin is my mac address minus the dashes. Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction!

Return to “File Sharing”