I can't see my NAS in my LAN like a computer

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
nivaria.achinet
Starting out

I can't see my NAS in my LAN like a computer

Post by nivaria.achinet »

Good morning, as from title, I can't see my NAS in my LAN like a computer.
I can see it like multimedia device.
Why?
Thanks.
FSC830
Experience counts

Re: I can't see my NAS in my LAN like a computer

Post by FSC830 »

Please use search! Multiple times discussed, most likely an issue related to Windows.

Regards
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

few things that come to mind

1. ur devices are on different subnets without u realizing

2. u disabled windows network discovery ?
https://gearupwindows.com/how-to-enable ... indows-11/

3. firewall is blocking. this can either be the one on your desktop client, or perhaps on the qnap e.g. like u misconfigured the qfirewall

4. bad ethernet cable? or a loose ethernet cable?

5. your qnap nas ip changed. maybe ur doing dhcp without setting a fix ip for it, so the lan ip changed without u realizing? either setup DHCP static reserved in router for the qnap mac device address, or setup a static ip on QTS QNAP device itself under virtual networking. It's highly recommended to keep a static lan ip for your nas.

6. in qts, maybe smb was disabled? for windows, smb needs to be enabled, this is how u can detect and access the qnap nas over file explorer. Take truenas for example, u need to first enable the SMB service or it won't be able to detect and explore. Similar thing for qnap, so check settings see if anything is not correct in settings :' another thing to take into account, for example, i have an android app that only works with smb1. so when the qnap only has smb 2 and above allowed, the app won't be able to connect to my qnap, due to smb1 only support (which is bad because the dev really ought to add the newer smb 2/3 support especially for security). Just something to keep in mind :S

fyi windows 11 supports smb2/3 u can double check
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/check-sm ... on-windows

there may be other possibilities, but these r the ones that come to mind more often

and like FSC830 pointed out, this type of question has been asked multiple times. try to use the forum search before asking next time :mrgreen:
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
nivaria.achinet
Starting out

FSC830 wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 5:28 pm Please use search! Multiple times discussed, most likely an issue related to Windows.

Regards
Can you help me, please?
nivaria.achinet
Starting out

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Mon Jun 27, 2022 8:21 pm few things that come to mind

1. ur devices are on different subnets without u realizing

2. u disabled windows network discovery ?
https://gearupwindows.com/how-to-enable ... indows-11/

3. firewall is blocking. this can either be the one on your desktop client, or perhaps on the qnap e.g. like u misconfigured the qfirewall

4. bad ethernet cable? or a loose ethernet cable?

5. your qnap nas ip changed. maybe ur doing dhcp without setting a fix ip for it, so the lan ip changed without u realizing? either setup DHCP static reserved in router for the qnap mac device address, or setup a static ip on QTS QNAP device itself under virtual networking. It's highly recommended to keep a static lan ip for your nas.

6. in qts, maybe smb was disabled? for windows, smb needs to be enabled, this is how u can detect and access the qnap nas over file explorer. Take truenas for example, u need to first enable the SMB service or it won't be able to detect and explore. Similar thing for qnap, so check settings see if anything is not correct in settings :' another thing to take into account, for example, i have an android app that only works with smb1. so when the qnap only has smb 2 and above allowed, the app won't be able to connect to my qnap, due to smb1 only support (which is bad because the dev really ought to add the newer smb 2/3 support especially for security). Just something to keep in mind :S

fyi windows 11 supports smb2/3 u can double check
https://www.thewindowsclub.com/check-sm ... on-windows

there may be other possibilities, but these r the ones that come to mind more often

and like FSC830 pointed out, this type of question has been asked multiple times. try to use the forum search before asking next time :mrgreen:
1) My computers and NAS are in the same LAN.
2) Windows network discovery is enable in all my computers.
3) We don't have a firewall. Do you mean Windows Firewall?
4) No
5) My QNAP NAS has a static ip.
6) SMB is enable because I created more network drive.
Thanks,
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

Firewalls at QNAP and Windows OS are often doing weird things.
Which kind of name resolution is used in your LAN?
Seems, that M$ mDNS sometimes too is not very reliable.

Regards
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

nivaria.achinet wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:37 am 1) My computers and NAS are in the same LAN.
so the nas and your client device ur pc are on same subnet? then that should be fine :'
nivaria.achinet wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:37 am 2) Windows network discovery is enable in all my computers.
good

nivaria.achinet wrote: Thu Jun 30, 2022 12:37 am 3) We don't have a firewall. Do you mean Windows Firewall?
for windows 11, by default windows firewall is enabled. problems in the past i encountered was third party stuff like bitdefender? if u notice ur nas inaccessible u have to try turn off firewall to check if thats whats causing it. windows firewall u can try temporary disable and see if ur nas is accessible? if it is, then could be some rule u set is blocking ur nas. though default setting i doubt it would though.

5) My QNAP NAS has a static ip.
did u try using qfinder app? does it detect ur qnap nas at all? :'

could also possibly be qufirewall or virtual network setting which is blocking access? only way around this is to soft reset. i would usually check other things before resorting to this though.
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/knowledg ... -explained

a soft reset is only 1 beep (roughly a 3 seconds press before u begin to hear the first beep). anymore than that could be a hard reset which is not what u want because that will format ur drives which is bad. a soft reset will only just set to default some of the basic non critical stuff like your virtual network settings, password back to macaddress, and disable firewall. the reason why you may consider a soft reset, is in case it's some sort of misconfiguration on the qnap which is blocking access to it. if this is really the case, then the only way to fix that is to soft reset.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “File Sharing”