Issue mapping TVX-h1688x shared volumes with MacBook Pro over Thunderbolt connection

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
siebzehnx
Starting out

Issue mapping TVX-h1688x shared volumes with MacBook Pro over Thunderbolt connection

Post by siebzehnx »

I recently moved from Windows (25 years using them) to MacOS and I've been learning the ups and downs of the transition. I have a QNAP TVS-h1688x unit with a bunch of shared folders that were previously accessed over a 10Gbps network connection with my Windows desktop. Since thunderbolt to 10Gbps adapters are not precisely common, I purchased and installed a thunderbolt card with 2 ports inside the QNAP, aiming at connecting the MacBook Pro directly to the QNAP and get an even higher connection that would allow me to edit video and photos even better than before. However I am unsure as to what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get the MacBook to map the shared folders in the QNAP via the thunderbolt connection. Here's my scenario:

The MacBook Pro is connected directly to the QNAP via a thunderbolt 4 active cable. The MacBook "sees" the connection using the weird automatic DHCP IP assigned (Picture # 1 attached). I'd much prefer to set this up using a manual IP of my choice, but I need to get it to work first in whatever way.
The QNAP "sees"the thunderbolt connection just fine, as shown in the Network Switch pane (Picture # 2 attached)

Now if I open the QFinder and try to map the drives from there, only the network connection shows (Picture # 3 attached). For reference I've been following the video here (https://youtu.be/2IKo6C2tzA0), and the option he has at the 21:50 minute mark when he's able to choose what interface he wants to use, does not appear for me at all.
If I disconnect the network cables from my network switch, thus rendering the Thunderbolt the only way the MacBook could reach the QNAP, Qfinder "sees" that connection, but I am 100% unable to login to the QNAp using the admin username and password (Picture # 3 attached)

Can someone here throw some light upon this dilemma of mine and tell me how am I being dumb when setting this up? Thank you in advance!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by dolbyman on Tue Aug 09, 2022 4:40 am, edited 3 times in total.
Reason: removed picture with QNAP Cloud ID name on it (for user security)
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Issue mapping TVX-h1688x shared volumes with MacBook Pro over Thunderbolt connection

Post by dolbyman »

You should hide/censor your WAN IP from that 3rd screenshot

Many issues have been reported with thunderbolt
See a discussion from yesterday
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=167256&p=823707

So switching back to 10GbE might be the better option for you as well
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Re: Issue mapping TVX-h1688x shared volumes with MacBook Pro over Thunderbolt connection

Post by Bob Zelin »

Joel (siebzehnx) just emailed me privately, and I gave him the same answer.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
siebzehnx
Starting out

Post by siebzehnx »

Returned the thunderbolt card and purchased a thunderbolt to 10Gbps dock for the Macbook, and now all is good. Such a shame TB is so glitchy, but at least I'm satisfied with the performance now. Thank you for your answers and help!

Return to “File Sharing”