Fastest way to transfer data from old dlink NAS to new QNAP

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
bainf
New here

Fastest way to transfer data from old dlink NAS to new QNAP

Post by bainf »

I have an old dlink NAS with a 2 tb drive
I have purchased an new QNAP and was trying to work out the quickest way way to transfer data.
A simple copy paste in windows file explorer via same home network has been taking a few days as it occasionally asks about whether to skip a file or not, stopping transfer to I see it.
Is there a way to directly connect these NAS's?
Currently I was thinking of connecting a USB hard drive to old then new
Is there a better way?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Fastest way to transfer data from old dlink NAS to new QNAP

Post by dolbyman »

Pull it from the QNAP (FileStarion, HBS3. your choice) or push it from the old NAS (SMB)

both are NAS..so network transfer it is
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

I use rsync (HBS3 ) to transfer between my dlink and qnap and it works well as @dolbyman states. Requires some configuration., Good for repeat for backups etc

The manual transfer would also work via USB drive. Easy setup. Good for one-and-done transfers

Using a windows PC increases the traffic as the PC transfer from one, then has to retransmit (and often virus scan too) so 10x slower. Not a good choice.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

fastest? not sure. but since it's a nas, u should be able to rsync (a good nas typically should be able to do this/configure it. for newbs ideally from the NAS UI for setting up rsync enable and authentication details for the service)?

in qnap hybrid backup sync you can setup a job that rsync 1 way from the source (dlink nas) to the qnap nas.

not familiar with dlink nas, but i know that for wd my cloud, it's not too straight forward for the average user to get rsync to work
https://community.wd.com/t/can-i-set-up ... as/93759/5

If i'm not mistaken, qts also has a mounting mechanism? haven't used that for a long while. i think it's located in filestation, so u may be able to mount an external source via smb

yeah i just checked, there is an option for CIFS/SMB
https://www.qnap.com/en-us/how-to/faq/a ... le-station

doesn't seem to be a qnap source only thing afaik, as long as the external source has an ip, and supports smb/cifs. so this route is available if rsync is not :' Anyway once it's mounted and viewable from filestation, there is a copy function there, so you could copy the data to the qnap nas shares you created.

Or better yet i think in HBS there is also an option for jobs to CIFS/SMB though i never used that. Probly try that first perhaps? :'

if ur curious about which is faster try them all, do a copy, not cut (just in case it's too slow so u want to cancel and try again the other options :S ). check the transfer speeds then report back and tell us which worked fastest :mrgreen:

anyway when transfering the data and you don't have a backup yet, i suggest u do copy/not cut, in case accidents happen. or if ur using rsync 1 way, that works fine as well. just make sure the source of the data isn't deleted or overwritten until u confirm u are satisfied the data sent to destination (the qnap) is satisfactory first in data integrity.

u can keep the old device as your backup once ur all done
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... _a_backup/

A simple copy paste in windows file explorer via same home network has been taking a few days as it occasionally asks about whether to skip a file or not, stopping transfer to I see it.
not quite sure what your networking is like, but these days it's standard and cheap to have 1gbe which tops out around 125 MB/s for transfers. A modern seagate iron wolf 4tb can hit around 180 MB/s which exceed 1gbe cap
https://www.tech-critter.com/seagate-ir ... hard-disk/
Theoretically, Gigabit LAN’s transfer speed is capped at 125 MBps. Since there are different kinds of overhead on a network, getting the read/write speed of 100~110 MBps over the network means both the drives and network is performing without any hiccups.

you also need to consider the device itself (e.g. the nas), how fast can it perform?

i don't know what dlink nas model ur using but using this as an example
https://www.smallnetbuilder.com/archive ... 0-reviewed

D-Link DNS-320L ShareCenter 2-Bay Cloud Storage 2000 Reviewed
Performance
I tested the 320L with original (and latest) 1.0 firmware, using our NAS test process to run tests with RAID 0 and 1 volumes.

Windows File Copy tests in the Benchmark Summary below show read throughput 40% higher than write for RAID 0 (43 vs. 30 MB/s) and 60% higher for RAID 1 (38 vs. 24 MB/s).

Intel NASPT File Copy writes were 40% higher than Windows File Copy for RAID 0 (42 vs. 30 MB/s) and 54% higher for RAID 1 (37 vs. 24 MB/s).
just go to the performance benchmark. just don't expect best performance from this outdated gear.

best thing to do is, copy your data off it to the new qnap nas, then put the old nas to pasture. I wouldn't want to use something that can't hit the minimum 120 MB/s for 1gbe networking which is standard these days :S
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
bainf
New here

Post by bainf »

Thanks guys.
I think I will use HBS3. Looks easy and fast
I have spent 5 minutes trying to get it finding my old NAS. A little bit of work to figure out how to connect to my old NAS out to add it and I am all good.
I have 4 bays so I am all good for storage/backup so the old dlink 327 I am going to pop it at my parents place and teach them how to store their phone pics and music once and for all.
Thanks for responses provided.
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

but don't depend on a single device to store everything. it has to have a backup of that data on ANOTHER separate device as well.

https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... _a_backup/

for example, i store my data on a ts-877 qnap. but i also backup everything onto a TL-D400S.

Don't have to copy exact, people more often just us an external usb hard drive for their backup purpose to go with their nas as another example.

anyway glad u figured it out.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “File Sharing”