Could not map network drives with NAS name

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
nivaria.achinet
Starting out

Could not map network drives with NAS name

Post by nivaria.achinet »

Good morning to all,
I have a Windows 7 PC with 2 active network drives: one connects to a Windows 10 PC, the other to the NAS.
Since this morning, I can't connect to the network drive on the NAS. It gives me the error "unknown username or wrong password".
This is by mapping the network drive with the name of the NAS (\\NAME-NAS\FOLDER). However, if I map the network drive through the IP (\\192.168.0.30\FOLDER), the credentials recognize me and then I can connect.
The SMB1 protocol on the NAS is active.
While, the network drive connected to the Windows 10 PC is mapped with the name and I connect it without any problems.
Why is there this problem with the NAS?
Thanks.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Could not map network drives with NAS name

Post by dolbyman »

Why is SMB1 active?

Check if the non working computer has any connection credentials stored for the NAS IP
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

If you don't require it (for legacy devices), then you should avoid SMB1 as there are numerous security risks, although often minimal if your LAN is secure.
Sometimes, Windows hangs on to credentials and causes problems. This can sometimes be resolved by removing all connections to the device and clearing the credentials. Then, add it back.

It would also be interesting to see if your system is properly resolving the host name to the correct IP. A simple "ping <host>" should tell you. Also, setting a static IP, if you haven't already, often avoids issues like this. Personally, I always use the IP address of my devices rather than the names anyway.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
nivaria.achinet
Starting out

dolbyman wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 9:20 pm Why is SMB1 active?

Check if the non working computer has any connection credentials stored for the NAS IP
Sorry, I’ve misunderstood: on NAS settings SMB1 is minimum protocol required.
There aren't credentials saved on PC.
nivaria.achinet
Starting out

dosborne wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:56 pm If you don't require it (for legacy devices), then you should avoid SMB1 as there are numerous security risks, although often minimal if your LAN is secure.
Sometimes, Windows hangs on to credentials and causes problems. This can sometimes be resolved by removing all connections to the device and clearing the credentials. Then, add it back.

It would also be interesting to see if your system is properly resolving the host name to the correct IP. A simple "ping <host>" should tell you. Also, setting a static IP, if you haven't already, often avoids issues like this. Personally, I always use the IP address of my devices rather than the names anyway.
Could there be a problem with Windows name resolution?
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

nivaria.achinet wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 11:14 pm Could there be a problem with Windows name resolution?
Maybe. Did you try:
dosborne wrote: Wed Aug 17, 2022 10:56 pm It would also be interesting to see if your system is properly resolving the host name to the correct IP. A simple "ping <host>" should tell you.
You could also set a manual entry in your windows host file, although more of a band aide rather than a solution.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]

Return to “File Sharing”