extreme slow file upload over samba as domain controller

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
viersicht
New here

extreme slow file upload over samba as domain controller

Post by viersicht »

Hi together,
I have a huge problem when uploading files using SMB protocol to the samba share on my qnap TS-431XeU Firmware Version 5.0.0.2106 (2022/07/21).
The upload to the nas is extremely slow, about 5 minutes for 100MB. Download to my computer is quite fast.
The nas is working as a domain controller with dns service for local domains.
I updated the firmware today, because we had the problem, that the internal name resolution was not working anymore, because the nameserver on the nas was not running and was also not starting when /etc/smb.sh restart was executed.

Now the name resolution works again, but the transfer speed is now the problem. In the /var/log/log.nmbd I see following errors:
----------------------
[2022/08/17 19:09:48.767000, 0] ../../source3/param/loadparm.c:2816(check_ad_dc_required_mods)
vfs objects specified without required AD DC module: dfs_samba4
[2022/08/17 19:09:48.771411, 0] ../../source3/nmbd/nmbd.c:975(main)
server role = 'active directory domain controller' not compatible with running nmbd standalone.
You should start 'samba' instead, and it will control starting the internal nbt server
----------------------

Seems to be the same problem as here: https://superuser.com/questions/1716629 ... nap-ts-251

Any ideas, why the transfer speed to the nas is so slow? Problem of nameserving for the samba?

Regards Niels
viersicht
New here

Re: extreme slow file upload over samba as domain controller

Post by viersicht »

Ok, made some other checks today. Tried a ftp connection instead of smb and it works also very slow. Than I tried the ftp with the other network adapter. And surprise, this is working fast. So it seems it has to do with the network cable, the adapter or his settings.I will keep searching.
viersicht
New here

Re: extreme slow file upload over samba as domain controller

Post by viersicht »

Status update. problem is solved. The switch had a bad port. I changed the cable to another port and now both nas adpaters are fast ;-)

Return to “File Sharing”