QNAP TVS-672XT FTP Server Problem

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
coerrace
Starting out

QNAP TVS-672XT FTP Server Problem

Post by coerrace »

I’m trying to configure in my QNAP TVS-672XT the FTP. I have the Firmware QTS 5.0.1.2173. I receive this error when I try to connect via www “Server sent passive reply with unroutable address. Using server address instead”. In my ASUS router I forwarded the IP of my QNAP 192.168.1.98 to ports 7000-7001. I mention the as IP of my QNAP 192.168.1.98 because is the one I use to access the admin menu in the QNAP. Now, in the QNAP admin I configured use port 7000 and in the “Connection” tab in the passive port range I entered also 7000-7001. As I said if I try to connect via WWW outside my local network with the IP my ISP gives me it says the error mentioned. However, if I try to connect via internal network with the IP 192.168.1.98 I use the login my QNAP as admin it works perfectly. But I need the FTP to use outside my local network how can I fix this? I don’t know if I have something wrong here or the QNAP IP 192.168.1.98 is not the one I must use. I don’t have idea what is the problem. I tried in Filizila client use TLS and unsecure connection nothing works but as I said if I use the IP 192.168.1.98 it the accessing from my local network it runs perfect.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: QNAP TVS-672XT FTP Server Problem

Post by dolbyman »

Never ever ever forward any QNAP system or application ports to WAN. Millions of dollars in ransom have been paid this year alone (hacked systems by people that did what you are doing).

I would never forward FTP ports to WAN either (unsecured protocol with cleartext transferred authentication, can also be insecure and be used to hijack your NAS), but ftp uses different ports from your Webfrontend
coerrace
Starting out

Post by coerrace »

PWhat I have is “Server sent passive reply with unroutable address. Using server address instead” anyway I can’t configure. But in the case of security concern how do you configure detailed a FTP server in QNAP. Or if is not suggested connect from outisde the world the FTP what is fro that feature? I don;t understand how to mount a FTP.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

If you need an ftp server, run one on a container or VM (attackers would then be contained in that virtual environment), then forward that NAT or bridged port.
coerrace
Starting out

Post by coerrace »

Ok. I think fist I need to solve why it doesn’t work with that message error. I have a VM inside the QNAP and first I tried to mount an ftp there with filezilla server an it was the same case same error. Then what could be the problem of my main post? Once I solve I will disable and configure to VM but as both they did the same I want to check the root of the failure I have. I can’t find doing the steps I mentioned. What can be?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Makes no sense to configure and test the QNAP ftp server, if you intend to move it to a VM afterwards.

Enable it on a VM and forward ports to that VM and test it again.
coerrace
Starting out

Post by coerrace »

Done they are the same. Ports are 7000-7001 now the IP of the VM is 192.168.1.134. Same error.
coerrace
Starting out

Post by coerrace »

Of course I removed the IP of the QNAP from my router and replaced by the IP of the Windows VM
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Your ISP could be blocking these ports, change the WAN ports to a different range (keep the LAN forwarded ports the same)

e.g.
WAN:7070-7071>192.168.1.134:7000-7001
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

If only you need access by FTP set up a VPN at your router and a VPN client at your mobile device.
This is the most secure access you can do.
You have the same access to all your devices in LAN in same way as staying at home.

Regards

Return to “File Sharing”