Help? how-to create symbolic links to keep "Christmas" photos together?

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
joebelfiore
Starting out

Help? how-to create symbolic links to keep "Christmas" photos together?

Post by joebelfiore »

Hey all ... Linux newbie who could use help with some specific directions (or warning against this idea) for how to accomplish the following. My device is TS-251+ running QTS 5.0.1.2194.

Scenario: I have a RAID volume with two drives, series of shared folders ("Photos", "Videos", etc.). My Photos folder/share is organized by year... like this:

... folder 1
... folder 2
... xmas photos

... folder 1
... folder 2
... xmas photos

WHAT I WANT: I'd like to ALSO create a 'top level folder' called "Christmas" which will have symbolic links to the Xmas photos folder from each year... LIKE THIS:

Xmas (all photos)
... 2018 <-- symbolic link
... 2019 <-- symbolic link

I want to use this so that I can make a screensaver show "all the xmas photos" .. without making a COPY of the images, so I can modify them, change their ratings, etc. as they are displayed -- in the original form.

I've read a few threads on this and I *think* a linux symbolic link will work ... but I haven't found enough info on how to create these (or if this is "safe"). I have seen people post "use SSH in linux" .. but i don't know how to setup an SSH command prompt...

Any specific help or advice? thanks!
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Re: Help? how-to create symbolic links to keep "Christmas" photos together?

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

the photo station qpkg app, you can create virtual folders.

so you don't have to physically move the photos to the same folder. but you can create a place holder folder to put pictures from different locations into it.

i believe it's called smart albums
https://youtu.be/8yhAfUXh5jc?t=59
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
joebelfiore
Starting out

Post by joebelfiore »

This doesn't seem to be a solution to the problem.

What I need is a way to have an actual "native" virtual folder -- like a Linux symbolic link or a Windows junction point -- which will look to ordinary Windows PCs and all the apps running on them like a real folder. I have a screensaver app running on 3 PCs in my house .. I want to point it to the "Xmas (all photos)" virtual folder. This virtual folder needs to be discoverable from a windows file share .. like this:

\\QNAPserver\photos\Holidays\Xmas (all photos)

Then I can use lots of different Windows apps on that collection of photos even though they are also stored in separate year-based folders on the server.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

You can easily create symbolic links on the NAS via a GUI driven app like WinSCP

https://winscp.net/eng/docs/task_link
joebelfiore
Starting out

Post by joebelfiore »

THANK YOU, @dolbyman! I'm getting close! Could use a tiny bit more help if you're expert in this and don't mind.

I have WinSCP installed and I'm now trying to figure out which protocol will work for creating links. I have WebDAV *working* with WinSCP ... but according to the docs it doesn't support creating links. The other default protocols that WinSCP supports don't seem to be enabled by default on QNAP (eg. I can't find any settings to enable SCP or SFTP on the NAS) ... and I *have* installed the QuFTP service as an add-on app but haven't figured out how to get WinSCP to connect to it yet.

ANy advice on which protocol I should be working to get setup with this? (and of course my hope at the end of this is that the symbolic/hard link will work for Windows PCs connecting via Windows networking...)

thanks!
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

SFTP should just work with the default SSH client, and that should be enabled by default
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

You can also just use the "ln" command from a SSH prompt :) no need for winscp.
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

well yes..but a GUI makes it easier to use..even though less educational
joebelfiore
Starting out

Post by joebelfiore »

WinSCP + SSH protocol did the trick. THANK YOU! I've got it working exactly the way I was hoping.

The thing that took just a tiny bit of tinkering was to recognize that the default port that QNAP used for SSH was different than the default port set in WinSCP.

Thank you again!

Return to “File Sharing”