Issue with growing files on QNAP TVS672XT via SMB

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
baijugadhia
First post

Issue with growing files on QNAP TVS672XT via SMB

Post by baijugadhia »

Greetings everyone.

I've run into a bit of a of an odd issue with one of our workflows, and wanted to see if anyone had any insights on what could be the issue.

Based on the tests we've done, I'm suspecting an issue with SMB, specific to QNAP, but will let you judge based on the details below.

Workflow -
We're using Softron's Movie Recorder Software running on a MacStudio M1Max to capture UHD feeds and are saving them to a shared volume on the QNAP.
As we're editing in real time, we've set Movierecorder's file settings to record to Prores Classic so that DaVInci Resolve and Other NLE's can use the file as growing files.

The Issue -
When the Edit Mac is connected via SMB, using either a QNAP 10GbE Switch or TB3 Networking, the Growing file refuses to refresh once the share is opened in Resolve's Media browser. If you restart resolve, the file will then be updated till that point, but will not refresh further.
The interesting thing is that if I mount the share via AFP, everything works correctly, the growing file refreshes as it should every 60 seconds, without making any changes to the settings or project in Resolve or Movierecorder.

I also tested using a Windows system , in case it was a mac specific issue, and when it was connected via SMB, the files do not refresh in Resolve. As Windows does not support AFP, was not able to verify if that workaround works.

To check if it was in issue with Resolve or the Movie recorder software, I also did a couple of other tests, only changing the save location, and leaving all the other settings and project as is.
- Local share on capture machine - tested recording to a shared volume on the MacStudio itself, and when connected to that Via SMB from other Macs and the windows edit system, the growing file does work correctly.
- Dell Storage server - tested recording on an older Dell Storage server and when connected via SMB use GbE as its an older system from other Macs and the windows edit system, the growing file does work correctly.

System Details -
NAS - QNAP TVS672XT - Raid 5 with 4 x 4TB 870 EVO
Capture system - Macstudio M1MAx with Sonnet Echo IIIse TB3 Chassis and BM Decklink 8K Capture card
10G Switch - QNAP QSW-M408-4C
Capture Software - Softron MovieRecorder
Edit Software - DaVinci Resolve Studio 18.0.3 Build 3 / 18.1 Build 16
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Issue with growing files on QNAP TVS672XT via SMB

Post by dolbyman »

Best to open a ticket..nothing we do anything about

I dont have any Mac stuff at home..so nothing I can test or fiddle with
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

this is only my opinion.
QNAP will not address this issue.
I suggest that you contact Softron, and discuss this with them. You don't even need to use the word "QNAP" - you can say "a NAS system connecting with SMB".
https://softron.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

as for Resolve - as someone that has done tons of PostgreSQL databases thru Resolve 17, using the QNAP - now that Resolve 18 is out, and uses PostgreSQL13 -
while I have gotten it to work (thanks to Dolbyman's help) - it interferes with other functions of the QNAP (because of the virtual switch it creates). It appears that QNAP
is not aggressively interested in resolving this, at this time. Perhaps because they see Blackmagic about to compete with them with the Cloud Store product line. And when I have
spoken to Blackmagic, they insist that I simply use a dedicated Mac Mini to run Project Server 18, and not the QNAP- or their own Blackmagic Cloud to hold the PostgreSQL databases.
So I doubt this will get resolved, any time soon.

I mention that because if this is a Resolve issue (you said that when you restart Resolve, it updates with the SMB share) - I doubt that Blackmagic will investigate this - certainly not with another
manufacturers shared storage product.

So you are best off contacting Softron, and get their opinion, on why this might be happening. As someone who works with the products that you work with every day - I can tell you that an assistant will
transfer media from field drives to the QNAP over the network using SMB, and the editors can then launch things like Resolve, and all the files show up. I know very well what you are talking about.
Movie Recorder is constantly writing files, and allows you to edit while it's begin written to the QNAP - and in my example, the writing of the new media is complete, and then Resolve is launched (just like you
would restart Resolve, and all the files appear). So again, it's my opinion, is that the only people that will address this specific issue, is Softron. Not QNAP, and not Blackmagic.

Bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com
Bob Zelin
Experience counts

Post by Bob Zelin »

I liked your question -
in Resolve
Settings> Decode Options> check "Automatically Refresh Growing Files in the Media Pool".

and from the Softron help page -
"About the different storage

We have seen that the growing file support for Resolve was limited on NAS shared storage. The media will not refresh properly. So prefer to use directly attached storage."

https://softron.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/ar ... ci-Resolve

bob Zelin
Bob Zelin / Rescue 1, Inc.
http://www.bobzelin.com

Return to “File Sharing”