Scan to file from Printer/Multifunction device

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
JBecker32
New here

Scan to file from Printer/Multifunction device

Post by JBecker32 »

Hi,
I am very new to the QNAP functionality. Have just installed and setup a QNAP TS231P3 (firmware 5.0.0.1932), and file access from Win10 computer is working OK. I am also doing backups from Onedrive and have installed PiHole in the Containerstation, all working well.

Now I want to scan from an OKI MC342 to a file in a folder on the QNAP (e.g. Public\Scans\Private). I have used OMV on a raspberry Pi before and I had it working there with only very little effort (add settings: server min protocol = NT1, client min protocol = NT1, ntlm auth = yes).
On the OKI all I can specify is the protocol 'CIFS', target URL '\\192.168.0.72\Public\Scans\Private', port number 445, username 'XYuser' and password 'password', encode communication 'None' (set exactly the same as before for OMV).
But this is not working with the QNAP. The printer stops scanning immediately after pressing the button without a precise error message ( ... error connecting to a file server).

Is there anything I have to configure on the QNAP to make it work?
One thing I have read is that it is required to specify the User Name as 'domain\username', but what is my domain? I have tried with 'WORKGROUP', but this is not working. What else can I try? And, is there possibly a log file telling me something about the unsuccessful request from the OKI?

BR, Jörg.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Scan to file from Printer/Multifunction device

Post by dolbyman »

if you don't use a domain (with DC and clients) then that is not a problem for you ....

The specific issue should be discussed with the vendor of your MFP (OKI)
JBecker32
New here

Post by JBecker32 »

dolbyman wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:33 am The specific issue should be discussed with the vendor of your MFP (OKI)
The printer model is 10 years old and not available anymore since a long time, so OKI will for sure not care about it ...
As it works ok with OMV, the printer does not seem to be the root cause of the problem.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Then you would have to go and maybe use wireshark and see where the issue lies

Maybe an incompatible protocol used by this old OKI ? (SMB1?)
JBecker32
New here

Post by JBecker32 »

I tried to enable SMB1 (ignoring the implied security issues for a moment), no success either ...
JBecker32
New here

Post by JBecker32 »

OK, no luck using SAMBA
Now trying with FTP:
I have now installed QuFTP and try with this, changing the protocol to ftp also on the OKI.
After many tries I find that setting the root folder in QuFTP to 'Public' and using a target URL of '\\192.168.0.72', I can successfully scan to this folder 'Public'. Good!
But I want to scan to a folder '\\192.168.0.72\Public\Scans\Privat' (with profile 'Private' on the OKI), to another folder '\\192.168.0.72\Public\Scans\Company' with Profile 'Company' and so on.
Up to now with no success. Error message on the OKI is always 'Unable to enter directory' or 'unable to write file'. I am completely unsure how to specify the Target URL in the OKI when I use the root folder setting in QuFTP!?! If I disable the root folder setting in QuFTP, I am unable to scan successfully at all ...

EDIT: working OK now! Target URL has always been specified with backslashes '\\192.168.0.72\Public ....'. Have changed that to slashes '//192.168.0.72/Public/...' and now it is working. Is this the reason?!?
steveoo
First post

Post by steveoo »

Due to an SMB 1 vulnerability, all operating systems are disabling the protocol on their devices via software updates. The article below goes into the details. I tested it, turned SMB 1 back on through the CONTROL PANEL -> Network & Files Services -> Win/Mac/NFS -> Advanced Options -> Lowest SMB version to 1, and scan to network folder works again, however, this leaves my NAS vulnerable to the exploits. Unfortunately, HP has no plans to implement a fix on their old printers by updating them to SMB 2 or newer. Note, this change happened around December 2022 or January of 2023. I just found the solution.

I cannot find a way via QNAP to allow SMB 1 to communicate ONLY with my HP Printer's IP address, so there's no secure solution to this problem.

Here's the link that describes the problem and how to turn SMB 1 back on, which you should not do.
https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/faq/arti ... s-hero-501

Return to “File Sharing”