Same mounted drive letter with local and VPN connection

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
Henrik N
New here

Same mounted drive letter with local and VPN connection

Post by Henrik N »

Hi!

I am trying to understand how to best solve how not to have to change mounted drive when accessing my NAS over the local network when i am home, and when connecting to my home network over the internet.

My NAS is TS-453D and I am using Wireguard running on a seperate windows machine inside my local network as my VPN-server.

Current scenario:
When home, and I turn off Wireguard on my client the NAS i reached through 192.168.x.xxxx.
When outside my home network and I turn on wiregurd on my client the NAS is reached through 198.19.x.xxx, which is the IP the NAS recieves from the VPN server.
That means that i have two drives mounted, one for local access and one for remote access.

This makes it frustrating to use programs that expects the files it is using to always be on the same mounted drive letter.
Is there any ideas or suggestions on how to solve this or point me in the right direction?

Sincerely Henrik
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Same mounted drive letter with local and VPN connection

Post by dolbyman »

With both Ipsec and openvpn ..you can reach your NAS with the same internal IP no matter if home or vpn connected

can you ping the regular NAS IP when vpn connected?
FSC830
Experience counts

Post by FSC830 »

There is something wrong with your setup. As dolbyman wrote, no matter if connected at home or remote via VPN: NAS can be reached by same (internal) IP.
Here Wireguard is also in use (and IPsec as fallback).

Regards
Henrik N
New here

Post by Henrik N »

Thank you both! I had to allow the windows computer to share its ethernet connection within the network and after that i can access it through its 192.168.x.xxx adress within the network and through the VPN. Thanks for your suggestion, it helped me to look in the right direction :)
sharing.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Return to “File Sharing”