Qnap become unreachable daily

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
rapidpczane
New here

Qnap become unreachable daily

Post by rapidpczane »

Hello everybody, i have a problem with a new and fresh installed ts-231p.
I just installed it in my mom's office, where she has 4 person working with network shared drive. I setup the nas correctly, i give it a static ip address outsite the dhcp lease, and the day i set it up everything worked correctly.
The problems start the day after, all pc can't connect to the network folder and make the explorer crash, both if i try to connect them via dns or via ip.
Even if i try to connect via the webpage, i can reach the login screen, i input my credential, and then it stays forever in the loading screen. I even try to reach it via putty to make something, but it gives connection refused.
Only thing i can did was to shut it down manually by pressing the power button. At the next boot, everything start to work again, but i cannot do it everyday because it's not an healty procedure for the nas.

What's going on? There's something faulty with the nas?
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Re: Qnap become unreachable daily

Post by Toxic17 »

I take it this is on a windows based environment. I am merely guessing since I know nothing on your setup... but..... check all network cables to and from devices, make sure NAS is not going to sleep, all Primary DNS are pointing to the router ip address and that mapped drives are connected to the NAS via IP (its quicker)

Also do a health check on the file system, and also do S.M.A.R.T tests on each drive.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

My guess would be the qnap firewall. Disable it. :)
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

rapidpczane wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:22 pm Hello everybody, i have a problem with a new and fresh installed ts-231p.
I just installed it in my mom's office, where she has 4 person working with network shared drive. I setup the nas correctly, i give it a static ip address outsite the dhcp lease, and the day i set it up everything worked correctly.
The problems start the day after, all pc can't connect to the network folder and make the explorer crash, both if i try to connect them via dns or via ip.
Even if i try to connect via the webpage, i can reach the login screen, i input my credential, and then it stays forever in the loading screen. I even try to reach it via putty to make something, but it gives connection refused.
Only thing i can did was to shut it down manually by pressing the power button. At the next boot, everything start to work again, but i cannot do it everyday because it's not an healty procedure for the nas.

the fact you get a connection refused means its reachable, but that it won't connect (most likely blocked).

i wonder, could it be because of previously entered credentials was incorrect, so whenever you login it tries those credentials and it triggers the client device to be put on the lockout list?

The solution to this scenario i found, was to go to windows credential manager, remove ALL entries related to that static ip and the nas you are connecting to via SMB. then.... re-enter... the credentials and save. Done.

Now try again. but if still locked out, consider a soft reset for the qnap (maybe try a reboot first before you resort to that though). What this entails is press the button at the back for 3 seconds which you will hear 1 beep. This will remove any block lists, also reset the password and the networking settings for your nas.

So you have to redo those. But the point is, it removes you from any sort of block list.

I would then suggest, if you are using qufirewall, and you had perhaps added some rule which basically got you locked out (potentially), then either fix that up, or just uninstall qufirewall. In security settings there is a block list, you can check the settings. The default is, if the client device enters incorrect credentials, it will add that device to a temporary block list, and will extend as more bad attempts are made.

These bad attempts i found was usually due to some previous saved credentials in credential manager on windows, which was why i speculated perhaps that could be a potential source of how your device got added to black list.

Or it could be a different reason. But to my knowledge, the only way you get onto the qnap block list is based on what the security settings is for either qufirewall or the other NON-qufirewall setting under security. check the settings explanation which explains how devices get added to the ban list.

other potential issues outside this scope could also perhaps be your router settings? :'

Also you may want to use qfinder to check if your qnap device is even detected on network or not. I thought it was because you got the error connection refused.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
rapidpczane
New here

Post by rapidpczane »

Toxic17 wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:08 am I take it this is on a windows based environment. I am merely guessing since I know nothing on your setup... but..... check all network cables to and from devices, make sure NAS is not going to sleep, all Primary DNS are pointing to the router ip address and that mapped drives are connected to the NAS via IP (its quicker)

Also do a health check on the file system, and also do S.M.A.R.T tests on each drive.
thanks for your reply. Yeah, there's only windows pc on the network. Before installing this qnap there's was an old win2008 server that was sharing file, we choose to replace it with a qnap because it was becoming too old and unstable. But file sharing was still working ok.

Now iv'e tried to map the network drive with only the ip, so i'm actually waiting some time to see if it happen again (first i map network drive with NDS).
File system is ok, ad drive too, i've already check it
rapidpczane
New here

Post by rapidpczane »

dosborne wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 4:39 am My guess would be the qnap firewall. Disable it. :)
It's enabled by default? Because this qnap is new and i've never enable nothing about firewall
rapidpczane
New here

Post by rapidpczane »

Moogle Stiltzkin wrote: Fri Feb 03, 2023 10:37 am
rapidpczane wrote: Thu Feb 02, 2023 7:22 pm Hello everybody, i have a problem with a new and fresh installed ts-231p.

the fact you get a connection refused means its reachable, but that it won't connect (most likely blocked).

i wonder, could it be because of previously entered credentials was incorrect, so whenever you login it tries those credentials and it triggers the client device to be put on the lockout list?

The solution to this scenario i found, was to go to windows credential manager, remove ALL entries related to that static ip and the nas you are connecting to via SMB. then.... re-enter... the credentials and save. Done.

Now try again. but if still locked out, consider a soft reset for the qnap (maybe try a reboot first before you resort to that though). What this entails is press the button at the back for 3 seconds which you will hear 1 beep. This will remove any block lists, also reset the password and the networking settings for your nas.

So you have to redo those. But the point is, it removes you from any sort of block list.

I would then suggest, if you are using qufirewall, and you had perhaps added some rule which basically got you locked out (potentially), then either fix that up, or just uninstall qufirewall. In security settings there is a block list, you can check the settings. The default is, if the client device enters incorrect credentials, it will add that device to a temporary block list, and will extend as more bad attempts are made.

These bad attempts i found was usually due to some previous saved credentials in credential manager on windows, which was why i speculated perhaps that could be a potential source of how your device got added to black list.

Or it could be a different reason. But to my knowledge, the only way you get onto the qnap block list is based on what the security settings is for either qufirewall or the other NON-qufirewall setting under security. check the settings explanation which explains how devices get added to the ban list.

other potential issues outside this scope could also perhaps be your router settings? :'

Also you may want to use qfinder to check if your qnap device is even detected on network or not. I thought it was because you got the error connection refused.
Putty says connection refused only when this problem happen, if i shut it down and power on again i can login via putty without problem. Indeed as i mention before, after a reboot it start to work again without problem.
If i use qfinder when it all works, i can see it. If i try when these type of problem start to happen, i can't even see it
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

could you log into the NAS and check a few settings.

goto control panel, Win/mac/NFS/WebDav, then in Microsoft Networking goto Advanced Options.

once there try enabling Local master Browser, and make sure Enable WS-Discovery to help SMB clients discover the NAS is enabled. and that SMBv2 or higher is set. v3 is best.

Also check the NAS network DNS server settings point to the router.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

once there try enabling Local master Browser, and make sure Enable WS-Discovery to help SMB clients discover the NAS is enabled. and that SMBv2 or higher is set. v3 is best.
good point.

yes check the qnap nas smb settings, what is it at? normally you want smb2 or higher (smb 3 ideally since thats the latest).

On windows 11, there is already support for smb2 and 3. Smb1 is already default disabled for windows 11. I think qnap also default starting to disable smb1 by default. But regardless, you should still check and not simply assume, just so we can check that it's not that causing havoc with detecting your nas on the network between your nas and the client device.

A standard setting for the qnap nas is default DHCP. So then the lan ip would be assigned from the router. You said you set a static, so i assumed you did a static lan ip reservation for the qnap nas ip from within the router. That should be fine.

in windows you want to be sure network discovery is enabled.
https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1049382/

Putty says connection refused only when this problem happen, if i shut it down and power on again i can login via putty without problem. Indeed as i mention before, after a reboot it start to work again without problem.

If i use qfinder when it all works, i can see it. If i try when these type of problem start to happen, i can't even see it
Highlighted simply sounds like the symptom, not the cause for the issue. we need to find the root cause of what is causing the issue, or you won't resolve your problem, so lets focus on that instead :)

Like i explained earlier, a possible cause, is possibly bad credentials saved in credential manager. Which your client may be trying to spam to your nas with you not realizing it. the solution to that is remove all bad entries, and re-enter again, save. This is merely speculation on my part, but this happens often to some users, which is why i mentioned here as a possible reason why you got blocked from access.

somehow triggering your client device getting blocked, and this is what you need to figure out.

And i think the reason why everything is responsive again after reboot, is perhaps the blocklist gets reset when you do that. But i'm not 100% sure on this, but this is what i suspect why it worked straight after a reboot.

Like i suggested, a possible reason could be a misconfiguration on qufirewall, security settings (the part which triggers putting client devices on a banlist), windows credential manager bad entries, or you or someone on device entering the wrong credentials repeatedly and which is why you get added to the banlist (this is a time out period which unlocks depending on the setting you set for this).

anyway this is what i think the problem is for the refused connection :) I could be wrong but this is my guess.

do you have a different client device? Can you perhaps try to access the qnap from that other client device, when you experience this connection refused?

because if the other device successfully connects, then it would strongly confirm my suspicions the issue is something to do with the original client device which is triggering it to be put on the banlist. The common reason is usually entered bad credentials.

Normally for troubleshoot, when QNAP is accessible (like you said after reboot), go to qulogs and check what is going on. I would first suspect repeated login attempts with incorrect credentials, followed by a lock out event. go to qulogs to confirm this.
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin
nickd
Starting out

Post by nickd »

Hi rapidpczane,

Did you ever get this resolved?

I have the same problem starting a few months back. My issue is not specific to Windows File Sharing (although I do get the same "crashing/freezing" behavior in Windows Explorer. I'm able to SSH into the QNAP and also access the web console just fine. But inside the console, most tasks I try just hang or fail. When I open File Station, that's when the whole web console freezes. The only solution is to reboot.

Glad I'm not the only one...
TVS-663
yanuk
Know my way around

Post by yanuk »

i had this problem sometime back and realised that it would hang and became unreachable on days of failed snapshot creation on a full volume. i stopped it and the hangs stopped.
TS451
TS453
TVS-682

Return to “File Sharing”