Domain joined QNAP keeps prompting domain users for credentials

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
rich2778
New here

Domain joined QNAP keeps prompting domain users for credentials

Post by rich2778 »

I have a domain joined QNAP running latest QTS 5.0.1 which is domain joined to an Active Directory domain.

Under Shared Folders on the Advanced Permissions I have both Enable Advanced Folder Permissions and Enable Windows ACL Support ticked.

I have some shared folders including one called "Test".

I go to the Test folder in Windows Explorer on one computer and authenticate to the QNAP as an administrator then set the permissions on "Test" using the Windows Explorer Security tab and add my normal domain user account so it has read only access.

So in Explorer my normal domain user account now shows on the whole of the "Test" folder tree on the Security tab in Windows Explorer.

When I try to browse the QNAP using my normal domain user account from a domain joined workstation I can browse to \\qnap but as soon as I try to browse into "Test" I get prompted for credentials.

Entering my normal domain credentials doesn't work.

Have I missed something please?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Domain joined QNAP keeps prompting domain users for credentials

Post by dolbyman »

When I have a QNAP systems joined to a domian, I use department or catchall groups and assign rights to the specific shares, individual rights then get assigned below that (Files or folders)
rich2778
New here

Post by rich2778 »

Thanks dolbyman but it doesn't seem to matter whether I use a domain user or a domain group.

I keep being prompted for credentials.

I think I've found some weird thing where if I set the option that says I have to use the Windows Security tab but I actually set permissions using the QNAP Control Panel I seem to get somewhere.

It's as if the documentation and what you actually have to do doesn't quite match :S
rich2778
New here

Post by rich2778 »

Seems to be not just me.

I have a shared folder and subfolders.

Parent
Finance
Marketing
IT

I want domain users to be able to access the top level then I need granular permissions so only the groups Finance can access the Finance folder and so on.

This is really simple using Windows permissions you just give Domain Users "read" on Parent and restrict to "this folder only" then set permissions on the subfolers.

It just doesn't work on the QNAP.

viewtopic.php?t=132930
https://www.reddit.com/r/qnap/comments/ ... ions_work/
https://community.spiceworks.com/topic/ ... ons-issues

What is going on...
Flinx
Starting out

Post by Flinx »

I was having a similar issue a while back and found that my QNAP had become disjoined from the domain.
I think it thought it was joined but in windows server it was missing.
I rejoined it and it is working properly again (I had to reset all the permissions though).

Return to “File Sharing”