Windows 11 direct connect to 2 NAS

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
rolldog
Getting the hang of things

Windows 11 direct connect to 2 NAS

Post by rolldog »

I have 2 NAS devices and had them setup using an ethernet connection with a different subnet than the rest of my network. Since I'm currently in a rental house, everything is connected via WiFi, but I wanted faster access to my NAS devices. Initially, I had a TS-451+ connected to a TVS-872XT, the TVS-872XT connected to my PC via 10GB network adapter, and on the TVS-872XT I setup a virtual switch between the 10GB adapter and the one the TS-451+ was connected to. It worked fine, but access to the TS-451+ was so slow.

So I bought a USB 2.5GB ethernet adapter to add to the TS-451+, but since the TVS-872XT doesn't have a 2.5GB adapter, and the 10GB is being used, I connected it to the extra 2.5GB network adapter on my PC. I set static IPs on both NAS along with my PC, and I thought I might be able to bridge the 10GB and 2.5GB adapters on my PC so I could access both. Well, I can access the TVS-872XT easily at 10GB, but the connection to the TS-451+ is very slow, so slow sometimes it won't connect. The network settings I using for each NAS and my PC are 192.168.2.* and I set the subnet to 255.255.0.0. I tried to using the IP of my PC as the default router and I also tried leaving it blank, either way it makes no difference.

Is there a way I can connect both of these NAS to separate network adapters on my PC keeping them separate from my regular network while allowing each NAS to access one another?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Windows 11 direct connect to 2 NAS

Post by dolbyman »

Can you doodle a diagram .. hard to understand what is connected where
rolldog

Post by rolldog »

Here's a diagram. Sorry that my handwriting **
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

hmmm .. I see.. sadly the 872XT only has that one 10GbE port... if it had another 2.5Gbe or 10GbE, you could just put a software defined switch on there to manage it.

So connections (without the windows bridge)

PC to 872XT 10GbE is fast ?
PC to 451+ 2.5GbE is fast ? (what adapter are you using?)
rolldog

Post by rolldog »

I'm using an Asus 10GB adapter in my PC and QNAP's 10GB adapter in the NAS, and I get about 350MB transfer rate between the two. Honestly, I haven't even tried the 2.5GB adapter by itself in the TS-451+. I just know I was getting really low speeds compared to 350MB. I have an ASUS Thunderbolt 4 card that I connected with my TVS-872XT, but I don't know if it's a Windows thing or something else but it was very flaky. Sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't, so I took it out. I guess if I had a 2.5GB adapter in the TVS-872XT I could get it working using a virtual switch. Maybe I have an extra 10GB adapter laying around somewhere.

I really appreciate your help validating this. I was driving myself crazy because I couldn't get it working.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

I think the only adapter that is officially compatible with the 451+ is this one
https://www.qnap.com/en/product/qna-uc5g1t

But that (on paper) should do 5GbE

When troubleshooting always go simple.. so best to test that 2.5GbE first by itself only (connected to the 10GbE of the PC), see if the speeds are not generally that bad or are they more in line what you would expect

Return to “File Sharing”