Random SMB login failures after upgrade to Windows 11

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
steerage250
Getting the hang of things

Random SMB login failures after upgrade to Windows 11

Post by steerage250 »

I upgraded my 2 desktops from Windows 10 to Windows 11. One is perfect. The other randomly gives SMB login failures. The message in QULog Centre is "Deny SMB1 host (security limitation) Failed to login"

However, it all seems to keep working - if you try and get access to a file on the NAS, it works - despite getting these SMB login failures reported by the NAS. I do feel it is slowing things down a bit though (not unsurprisingly).

I've deleted the Windows credentials for the NAS - and it retained access to NAS files, and the random login failures still kept happening. (My Microsoft account has also been setup as a user on the NAS, so that's probably the mechanism that is still giving access).

Anyone got any clues ?
TS-251, PCs with Windows 10
dolbyman
Guru

Re: Random SMB login failures after upgrade to Windows 11

Post by dolbyman »

Well something on that machine seems to be set to SMB1 ..did you check that SMB1 wasn't activated ?
steerage250
Getting the hang of things

Re: Random SMB login failures after upgrade to Windows 11

Post by steerage250 »

I think you were bang-on-the-money! I had re-enabled SMB1 years ago to try and get Windows Explorer to be able to browse the NAS. Funny that the problem only showed-up when I upgraded to Windows 11. Anyway, I've disabled it again, I can still browse the NAS, the error messages seem to have stopped and all seems good.

thank you very much
TS-251, PCs with Windows 10

Return to “File Sharing”