NAS connected to both internet and 1 on 1 to pc

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
MiracleTostie
New here

NAS connected to both internet and 1 on 1 to pc

Post by MiracleTostie »

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if it is possible to connect my NAS both to my LAN (so devices like my Nvidia Shield can access it) and my pc can directly connect to the NAS? Sort of a best of both worlds.

I would like my pc to be connected directly 10 Gbe (pc) to 10 GbE (nas).
But also 2.5 GbE Nas to LAN.
dolbyman
Guru

Re: NAS connected to both internet and 1 on 1 to pc

Post by dolbyman »

Is the computer still connected to the general network ?

If so, subnet the NAS connection off. (search the forums for plenty of threads)
If not, you can use the NAS as a software defined switch (not advised)
https://docs.qnap.com/operating-system/ ... 2F7F1.html
MiracleTostie
New here

Post by MiracleTostie »

Oh yes. My computer will be connected through the regular LAN by it's own 1 GbE from the motherboard. In the motherboard is a 10 GbE network adapter which I want to connect directly to the 10 GbE NAS port.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

ok..so just do a static sepperate subnet for this connection and it's all good
MiracleTostie
New here

Post by MiracleTostie »

So I did follow these steps:

https://docs.qnap.com/operating-system/ ... 2F7F1.html

I have the virtual network now. My pc through the 10 GbE is connected to the 10 GbE ethernet port from the nas. My pc is also connected through it's own 1 GbE motherboard port through a 1 GbE switch. However, as my transfer speeds are still about 110 MB/s, it is somehow following the 1 GbE path in stead of the 10 GbE path. What am I to do?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

That link is busted..but there shouldn't be a complicated guide involved

just a manual subnet on NAS and PC adapter..so whatever you did..that wasn't what I talked about
MiracleTostie
New here

Post by MiracleTostie »

I now just made a 'basic virtual machine'. It got a totally different IP-adress then I usually have for my network. I can now connect through my web browser to my NAS and through Windows Explorer. However, when I try to copy a file it keeps copying it over my 1 GbE motherboard ethernet port even though I transfer files from the new IP adres to my pc. It that a Windows Explorer thing or do I need to adjust something else?
MiracleTostie
New here

Post by MiracleTostie »

I also unplugged the ethernetcabel connected to my 1 GbE on my motherboard. So there is only the 10 Gbe - 10 GbE connected and still somehow through Windows Explorer I am moving files with about 110 MB/s (so 1 GbE). How is this possible?
MiracleTostie
New here

Post by MiracleTostie »

Also in QNAP itself at the virtual machines it says connected through the 10 GbE network but network speed is 1 GbE.

Changing the MTU size there didn't help.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Sorry..I dont know what you are doing ..all that is needed is to set a fixed IP on the 10GbE adapter (make sure it is NOT the default gateway adapter)
dosborne
Experience counts

Post by dosborne »

I would start by figuring out the hardware issue and forget about ips and subnets etc until after.

The link between the systems should show the correct speed. It is either a configuration issue, a cable issue or an incompatibility between adapters (so potentially a driver issue).
QNAP TS-563-16G 5x10TB Seagate Ironwolf HDD Raid-5 NIC: 2x1GB 1x10GbE
QNAP TS-231P-US 2x18TB Seagate Exos HDD Raid-1
[Deadbolt and General Ransomware Detection, Prevention, Recovery & MORE]
Moogle Stiltzkin
Guru

Post by Moogle Stiltzkin »

what people normally do is...

NAS, Desktop PC, Nvidia Shield... all connect to the switch....

if however... the nvidia shield is located in a different location, then it's possible you could have a second switch at that other location (at least i do for my setup), or if not, then you simply have a long cable going to that device only.

Point is, they are all on a single switch ideally. If that switch does not have the required speed, then you may have a second switch with the necessary port e.g. 10gbe or SFP+

I would like my pc to be connected directly 10 Gbe (pc) to 10 GbE (nas).
But also 2.5 GbE Nas to LAN.
i suggest sticking to a switch that is capable of these port speeds. That would be my recommendation.

QNAP or other brands has some switch that is some 2.5gbe, some 10gbe. Or is all 10gbe... get whichever switch within your budget and has whatever port speed that is required.

This qnap QSW-2104-2T is an unmanaged switch with 2-port 10GbE RJ45 and 4-port 2.5GbE RJ45 it's $149.00 on Amazon.

https://www.qnap.com/en-as/product/qsw-2104-2t

is great unless you need managed (if you don't do vlan then you probably don't need it), or more extra features like poe+ But it's an example of what kind of switch that may work well for your setup that is a mix of 10gbe and 2.5gbe

to sum it up, you don't connect directly (although you can), instead you just have the right switch for your network devices :D
NAS
[Main Server] QNAP TS-877 (QTS) w. 4tb [ 3x HGST Deskstar NAS & 1x WD RED NAS ] EXT4 Raid5 & 2 x m.2 SATA Samsung 850 Evo raid1 +16gb ddr4 Crucial+ QWA-AC2600 wireless+QXP PCIE
[Backup] QNAP TS-653A (Truenas Core) w. 4x 2TB Samsung F3 (HD203WI) RaidZ1 ZFS + 8gb ddr3 Crucial
[^] QNAP TL-D400S 2x 4TB WD Red Nas (WD40EFRX) 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf, Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-509 Pro w. 4x 1TB WD RE3 (WD1002FBYS) EXT4 Raid5
[^] QNAP TS-253D (Truenas Scale)
[Mobile NAS] TBS-453DX w. 2x Crucial MX500 500gb EXT4 raid1

Network
Qotom Pfsense|100mbps FTTH | Win11, Ryzen 5600X Desktop (1x2tb Crucial P50 Plus M.2 SSD, 1x 8tb seagate Ironwolf,1x 4tb HGST Ultrastar 7K4000)

Resources
[Review] Moogle's QNAP experience
[Review] Moogle's TS-877 review
https://www.patreon.com/mooglestiltzkin

Return to “File Sharing”