Access to NAS shares broken in Windows 10

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
rivalcomp
Starting out

Re: Access to NAS shares broken in Windows 10

Post by rivalcomp »

Found a big disadvantage of using SMB1.0 protocol. It is very slow to copy a big file from and to the same share. Higher SMB protocols do this locally at the NAS, while SMB1.0 does it through the network. Copying speed is less than a half of the original, because data goes through the client over the network. :(
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

The reason why the CIFS/SMB 1.0 Windows feature must be in place and enabled is the NetBIOS (former NetBEUI) name resolution and NAS discovery only - not to use SMB 1.0 protocol.
rivalcomp
Starting out

Post by rivalcomp »

schumaku wrote:The reason why the CIFS/SMB 1.0 Windows feature must be in place and enabled is the NetBIOS (former NetBEUI) name resolution and NAS discovery only - not to use SMB 1.0 protocol.
Ok, but it doesn't change that there is some incompatibility between Windows 10 and QNAP NASes with higher SMB versions (QTS 4.2.0 build 20150925 currently). Since I set the QNAP to SMB1.0 there is no problem (except a bit lower performance and some hickup when trying to download a file directly to a network share).
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

rivalcomp wrote:Ok, but it doesn't change that there is some incompatibility between Windows 10 and QNAP NASes with higher SMB versions (QTS 4.2.0 build 20150925 currently). Since I set the QNAP to SMB1.0 there is no problem (except a bit lower performance and some hickup when trying to download a file directly to a network share).
All NAS here set to SMB 3.0 resp. SMB 2.1, become visible on all Windows 10 systems (by NetBIOS broadcast announcements).

One point I've spotted: When having a lot of applications or plenty of browser tabs open ... Win 10 appears to fail to discover the NAS on the network. When closing (and freeing a lot of resources) the NAS show up immediately.
rivalcomp
Starting out

Post by rivalcomp »

Ok, then I don't know what's wrong. Freshly installed Windows 10, unmodified MSDN source. Installed on several machines, symptom is the same. QNAP has the newest firmware. All the Windows 10 issues were started by the appearance of SMB3.0. And there is no problem with previous Windows versions using SMB3.0.
GaryWW
Starting out

Post by GaryWW »

schumaku wrote:All NAS here set to SMB 3.0 resp. SMB 2.1, become visible on all Windows 10 systems (by NetBIOS broadcast announcements).
That has not been my experience either. I have 3 machines that will not consistently see the NAS if it is configured for anything other than SMB 1.0. :?
LINJEinc
First post

Post by LINJEinc »

Found this on another forum, and this works for my two win10 machines and a Qnap TS-431

Here is the solution to see NAS drives in Windows 10:
1/ Run cmd as admin
2/ sc.exe config lanmanworkstation depend= bowser/mrxsmb10/nsi
3/ sc.exe config mrxsmb20 start= disabled
Restart and done! You will see all your NAS in your network.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

LINJEinc wrote:Here is the solution to see NAS drives in Windows 10:
Sorry, reducing to SMB 1.0 can't be considered a solution ...

As per Microsoft (and this is not a QNAP specific issue ....):

Open an elevated privilege cmd prompt (on Windows of course...), run “netcfg -d”, then reboot and reconfigure networking.
GaryWW
Starting out

Post by GaryWW »

schumaku wrote:As per Microsoft (and this is not a QNAP specific issue ....):

Open an elevated privilege cmd prompt (on Windows of course...), run “netcfg -d”, then reboot and reconfigure networking.
Any idea what Microsoft means by "reconfigure networking"?
NiteAngyl
Starting out

Post by NiteAngyl »

Thank you for the fix-- changing the SMB from 2.1 to 1.0 worked for me. You can find it at Control Panel > Network Services > Win/Mac/NFS > "Advanced Options"
ashbeo2000
New here

Post by ashbeo2000 »

Could not see any network devices after win 10 upgrade, applied fix via this thread ( http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharin ... lorer.html ) which fixed it.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

ashbeo2000 wrote:Could not see any network devices after win 10 upgrade, applied fix via this thread ( http://www.tenforums.com/network-sharin ... lorer.html ) which fixed it.
This does essentially limit the Windows client to SMB 1.0 protocol ... much easier to do the same on the NAS at a single point.

Curious why people don't go to their Windows 10 support channels (being the computer OEM or Microsoft direct - check the Windows 10 Control panel -> System for support information) to get this issue addressed ... considering Windows 10 systems don't even see other Windows 10 systems on the same network, it's pretty clear this is a massive Microsoft bug.
TimothyD
Starting out

Post by TimothyD »

schumaku wrote: Login to your NAS shell using PuTTY (on Windows) and check

Code: Select all

smbstatus
Guess it's set to 1.0 as in the example, so enable SMB 2.1 ...

Code: Select all

smb21enable
...however, I don't this does solve issues - which are not on the NAS side typically:
login as: admin
admin@ts-212's password:

[~] # smb2status

smbd (samba daemon) Version 3.6.25
smbd (samba daemon) is running.
max protocol SMB 1.0 enabled.
[~] # smb21enable
Shutting down SMB services: smbd nmbd.
Shutting down winbindd services: winbindd.
max protocol SMB 2.1 ... enabled.
locks path was set to /share/HDA_DATA/.locks
Shutting down winbindd services: winbindd.
Starting winbindd services:Starting SMB services:.

smbd (samba daemon) Version 3.6.25
smbd (samba daemon) is running.
max protocol SMB 2.1 enabled.
Hi,
I am having a similar issue where my Win10 machine doesnt recognise my NAS. I have tweaked the settings in Windows already as you mentioned, but havent yet done those on the NAS unit (TS-419PII+). The steps mentioned in the quote above are way beyond my knowledge base - I dont even know how to log into the shell of the NAS nor what PuTTY is? Are you able to help guide me through this?

Thanks
Tim
sstabeler
New here

Post by sstabeler »

I've found a workaround, even if not exactly perfect: if you use Qfinder, it detects the NAS, and from there, you can connect to the NAS folders in windows- it does use the IP address, though, not the NAS name.It does, however, allow you to connect to the folders on your NAS on Windows 10 in windows explorer after you find the NAS in Qfinder. Yeah, it's not perfect, but it's better than having to fiddle around with the settings on the NAS,
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

sstabeler wrote: if you use Qfinder, it detects the NAS, and from there, you can connect to the NAS folders in windows- it does use the IP address, though, not the NAS name.It does, however, allow you to connect to the folders on your NAS on Windows 10 in windows explorer after you find the NAS in Qfinder.
The issue is that the NetBIOS name resolution and device announcement fails on Win 10 Build 10586 - not the effective shared folder access, using ie. the direct IP address, using a A record in a local DNS server, or by adding the NAS to each Windows hosts file.
sstabeler wrote:Yeah, it's not perfect, but it's better than having to fiddle around with the settings on the NAS,
Your NAS model (as per the NAS profile) does provide a GUI UI to set the max SMB version. After some playing network config, starting from dropping the config completely, does commonly fix the Windows 10 10586 side.

The effective issue is with the Windows 10 Build 10586 ... so please complain to the Windows OEM resp. Microsoft (check the Control Panel -> System) for your Windows 10 license support organisation.

Regards,
-Kurt.

Return to “File Sharing”