All files tagged as "hidden system files"!!?

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
chullos
First post

Re: All files tagged as "hidden system files"!!?

Post by chullos »

Hi to all, I'm new here, but here I found the solution to the problem I had. I almost forgot the old fashion ATTRIB command. This worked for me.

Thanks!
Corsair
Know my way around

Post by Corsair »

QNAPRobert wrote:Hi,all:
There's a system script that might come handy :

Code: Select all

/sbin/set_volume_mode <Share_Folder_name>
the share folder must be on root folder level,that is : on the share folder list in the Web administration GUI.

eg.
/sbin/set_volume_mode Public
would set all the folders mode and files mode back to QNAP default.

*Thanks Lee Buskey of U.S.A. informed me and all your efforts.
This just made me happy. Thanks heaps.

Just one question though since I'm a bit of a noob about these things:

What's the difference in having a file set to 766 or 666 and folder set to 777 or 755? Does it matter?
Model: TS-451+ Firmware: 4.5.4.2280 build 20230112
HDDs: 2x 4.0 TB Western Digital WD40EFRX-68N32N0 in Bays 1 & 2 RAID: RAID 1
HDDs: 2x 1.0 TB Hitachi HDT721010SLA360 ST6O in Bays 3 & 4 RAID: RAID 1
Storage Pool & Volume: Both RAID 1 groups combined into one storage pool with one, thick, volume.
Services: Microsoft Networking, File Station,Web Server
Apps: PLEX Media Server 1.30.0.6442
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

Excellent information collection, thank you!
chocmint wrote:I'm still puzzled, however, why the world read bit still sets/unsets the hidden status...

Done some tests - here on a 3.60 Beta NAS, the world read bit does toggle the archive (w:r = archive, w: = no achive. Suspected before: Thee are still some QNAP hardcoded mods in the SAMBA deamon. Behaviour is certianly wrong - changing the U**x protection masks must not interfere with the attribute presentation to the Windows clients - making a consiten management impossible as you correctly stated.
JM22681
New here

Post by JM22681 »

This is an awesome feature - fixed my issues as well.

I do have a question though. Are there security risks inherent with setting those file attributes as wide open as that script does? My NAS is relatively contained to just SMB and SSH access, but I wonder whether those attributes could be harmful with NFS or FTP.
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

JM22681 wrote:I do have a question though. Are there security risks inherent with setting those file attributes as wide open as that script does? My NAS is relatively contained to just SMB and SSH access, but I wonder whether those attributes could be harmful with NFS or FTP.
SAMBA made use of the U**x file protection mask to store additional attributes for decades. Needless to say, this makes the "classic" U**x permission scheme kind of obsolete. Today, the QNAP NAS can be operated in two modes: The default, which is shared folder based security only, and with using Advanced Folder Permissions (read: simple POSIX ACLs on folders and files). Only with the Advanced Folder Permissions, granular access control within shared folders and files are possible - and workable with AFP, FTP, SMB/CIFS, SSH*, and File Station. Said that, NFS is another awful story in general, requiring a lot of harmonized and customized set-up of NFS client and NFS server anyway. When it comes to SSH, QNAP does only support SSH (and SFTP) for admin - which is uid:0 anyway.
JM22681
New here

Post by JM22681 »

Thanks for that clarity, so I think you're saying don't worry about these blanket "classic" permissions that are open-ended on the UNIX layer? They seem foundational to enabling the use of the other protocols, so I guess "it is what it is"!
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

JM22681 wrote:Thanks for that clarity, so I think you're saying don't worry about these blanket "classic" permissions that are open-ended on the UNIX layer? They seem foundational to enabling the use of the other protocols, so I guess "it is what it is"!
Well, that's how the NAS is built. Modern granular access control modes are not compatible the the U**X protection mask model from 1970 anyway. ACLs are the way to go - Advanced Folder Permissions on the NAS, and use ACL mounts. This does add another layer of complexity - on top of harmonizing IDSs and UIDs, group names, usernames, ....
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

All right, some secrets are still remaining:

- Plain shared folder permissions on the NAS, or had Advanced Folder Permissions in place?

- Copied using File Station, USB One Touch Copy, or Windows Explorer?

Will spend some time on this for you.
c.steele
New here

Post by c.steele »

This is happening to me as well. I'm a pro photographer and need to put RAW files on the NAS for our workflow. I'm ingesting the photos with an app called Photo Mechanic - which could be the culprit, not sure how this stuff works (I'm talking with them as well).

I have a TS-228. My path is USB 3.0 card reader > my computer > Photo Mechanic ingesting to NAS.

If I drag the files straight from the CF card to the NAS folder it works fine. Basically the same path minus Photo Mechanic - which leads me to believe it's PM that's the problem. However, I don't know if an app can set/change attributes like that or if it's a windows thing. I'm hoping maybe there is a windows setting I can change somewhere to prevent the setting of the hidden attribute.

Any help or insight on this would be much appreciated!

Chris
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

c.steele wrote:I have a TS-228. My path is USB 3.0 card reader > my computer > Photo Mechanic ingesting to NAS.
The card reader is connected to the NAS or to the computer?

I've managend one occurrence of a sinlge hidden file on the NAS with Photo Mechanic - all other attempts had no hide flag set. Yes - applications can change/set the attributes of course.
c.steele
New here

Post by c.steele »

Thanks for the reply! The card reader is attached to my computer. I spent a bunch of time with support at Camera Bits (photo mechanic) since I made this post and they are sure it's not them. I'm not so sure. I can navigate to the CF card, highlight raw files, and drag to the folder on the NAS - the files get transferred with no issues. If I use PM to ingest to the same folder it marks every file hidden. I'm ignorant on this stuff, but it seems to me like dragging the files is the same path minus PM - card reader > computer > router > NAS. So wouldn't it mean that it's PM that's causing the issue?

I have tried everything I can think of and every tip I have read on the internet in regards to permissions etc. Nothing works!

I have a ticket in to Qnap support but their response speed is a little underwhelming.
bdorsey
First post

Post by bdorsey »

I'm having this problem as well on my QNAP with PhotoMechanic. Strange thing we discovered that may help us uncover what's wrong here. ...
If we drag an image from one folder to another in PhotoMechanic, it copies just fine. If we use the Photomechanic right click menu Copy command, the file is transferred but is marked as hidden.
c.steele
New here

Post by c.steele »

I never did get this resolved. Qnap support was no help, and PM says it's not their app causing the issue. All I needed to use it for was to dump files from shoots so they could be accessed from multiple computers to be culled, so I ended up buying a USB 3 external raid enclosure. Works great, as fast as i need it to be, and best of all no issues.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... _dual.html
tedsho222
New here

Post by tedsho222 »

Ohhh I had the same problem too.. Thanks for your answers!

Return to “File Sharing”