Files Disappeared! Thanks QNAP!

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
P3R
Guru

Re: Files Disappeared! Thanks QNAP!

Post by P3R »

jnai9 wrote:There should be an option to compare if the files were copied successfully before delete on MOVE.
Not only an option, a check should always be done and of course this is a nasty bug.

But the reality is that bugs happen. So does disk crashes, power outages, user mistakes, ransomware and many other distasters that can also result in data loss.

There's one single thing that will protect against all of those threats at the same time and that's backup copies on separate systems. Therefore ultimately the only one responsible for data loss, is the administrator that fail to keep backup copies of all important data.
Don't lecture me about backup.
Suit yourself and be prepared to lose data again.
There is just a limited amount of USB drives available (which are mostly full) and I don't believe any of you have spare empty TBs of drives laying around to make double backup before copying or moving data to/from QNAP.
No we don't have spare empty TBs of drives laying around to make a backup before copying or moving data. We always have backup copies of all important data as that is a natural part of any serious data storage strategy. Many of us more experienced administrators have multiple backups.
It's just too much hassle and not that important.
If the data wasn't important enough to do a backup copy of, then no reason to complain about losing it.
4TB of movies gone, because I wanted to copy about 300GB of photos to external USB.
Yes I covered user mistakes above as one of the threats to your data.
I'm still not sure what is the proper way to copy a bunch of folders to external USB disk and there is no proper protocol described anywhere.
There are several ways, some documented and some not. These are the first that I come to think of and they are all documented:
  • File Manager (but in light of the above bug, obviously copy is a better choice of actions than move)
  • Backup Station, External Drive
  • Backup Station, RTRR
  • Backup Station, USB One Touch Copy
I don't want to copy files through the network (300GB takes 12 hours).
Then it sounds like you have a very slow network.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
eldor
Starting out

Post by eldor »

And btw I have 16 TB brutto in my Backup System.... ;)

Gesendet von meinem HUAWEI GRA-L09 mit Tapatalk
maffle
Starting out

Post by maffle »

I was actually about to buy a 431P and now I saw this post... is this a joke? I was totally using move files actually through the intern file manager of the unit, for example from a usb hdd to the intern RAID1 I was planing to use. A NAS has a copy/move bug resulting in data loss? Seriously? So is this fixed now... or not?

I actually also saw a few people stating in Amazon reviews, that their raid randomly vanished from one day to another, all data gone. SMART saying no error with the raid...

Then I also saw a few people saying, the NAS just formatted the raid on itsown:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-revi ... B01N2K147Q

So this NAS is a ticking time bomb? Please dont come with "blah blah, you should always have a 2nd backup of your data", of course you SHOULD... but these kind of nightmare bugs??
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

maffle wrote:I was actually about to buy a 431P and now I saw this post... is this a joke?
No.
I was totally using move files actually through the intern file manager of the unit, for example from a usb hdd to the intern RAID1 I was planing to use. A NAS has a copy/move bug resulting in data loss? Seriously?
Never ever do a move of a single instance of data! Just stop doing that as it's inherently dangerous.
So is this fixed now... or not?
I don't know. Now that you know that you should never user a move operation with a single instance of data, is it still very important to know? If it is please contact Qnap.
I actually also saw a few people stating in Amazon reviews, that their raid randomly vanished from one day to another, all data gone. SMART saying no error with the raid...
Do they use compatible disks or worthless and dangerous desktop disks that are known to cause frequent problems? What have they really done? We don't know.
Then I also saw a few people saying, the NAS just formatted the raid on itsown:
Many newcomers are overwhelmed by their NASes and don't understand what they do and what happens. They may misunderstand, they may misinterpret and they may do things wrong. Was the NAS open to the internet and had the default admin password? If it was it was likely hacked but that's a problem with an uneducated user more than a NAS issue, though I wish Qnap would have far more restrictive default settings. Again we don't know anything about what really happened.

From time to time we see these claims about data mysteriously disappearing here in the forum but very rarely is it confirmed as being a bug. This bug is one of the few exceptions.

I doubt that Amazon in any way qualify the user comments so it's probably an effective way to spread FUD, should anyone for one reason or another dislike a manufacturer. That should probably also be considered when reading those reviews?
So this NAS is a ticking time bomb?
I've been using several Qnaps for many years and have never experienced disappearing data like these Amazon reviewers. But then again, I have a clue about what I'm doing and I avoid doing very dangerous things.
Please dont come with "blah blah, you should always have a 2nd backup of your data", of course you SHOULD...
Then start following that advice and suddenly you won't be as terrified for bugs, even if they happen to lead to data loss.

If we talk about professional storage for several hundreds of thousands of dollars there's always a backup solution in place. Why would you run very cheap home device with less protection for your data? :S
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
kevinz
First post

Post by kevinz »

I googled to this topic today because I’ve got the same problem on my TS-453Bmini with the latest release.

It is for sure users could do better to avoid data loss, which is lessons learned.

But I do think QNAP should improve their system to protect users’ data.

If there’s error on a move operation, a delete shall never executed.
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Post by Toxic17 »

If you have a problem please open you own thread on the subject. this topic is two years old.
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55

Return to “File Sharing”