FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
maciej_k
First post

FileStation public access for shared files

Post by maciej_k »

Model: TS-1263U-RP
Version: 4.3.3.0095 Build 20170216

Hello everyone!

I hope somebody here will be able to help me.

I have 2 question regarding the Filestation files sharing.
To give you a background:
Model: TS-1263U-RP
Version: 4.3.3.0095 Build 20170216
Netowrk interfaces in use:
> IF1 - internal network only (private adressing 172.16.100.0/24)
> IF2 - another rinternal subnet (not relevant here)
> IF4 - different subnet with different private addressing (172.16.101.0/24)- DMZ - public IP forwarding on the firewall of port 8080 from Static public IP to IP address of IF4 - works ok
No routing between 101 and 100 subnets (fully separated).
We have as well the public host name in our domain defined in DNS - works ok
No need for ddns (as our public IP is static).
No need for myqnapcloud - for the same reason.

Question 1.
When sharing the file using Filestation - I may choose which IP address to include in the link or to include myqnapcloud address.
But I would like to include my public hostname (within my domain). Is there a place I may configure that in admin panel in QNAP or modify some cinfguration files directly on the qnap server?
How to remove all other not necessary entries?
Of course I want it to have it globally configured for all users.

Question 2.
It is about the security.
My basic assumption was that the admin panel will be available from internal network ONLY (IF1), never from public internet - so originally:
> I was blocking the admin panel on the IF4
> I was no forwarding of port 8080 from public address

As you see from Question 1 - I want to be able to share files from FileStation ... which is using exactly the same mechanisms as the admin panel (same web server, same port).

So to do that I had to enable the admin panel web server on IF4 as well as to make a port forwarding. All works fine except that - I may access as well the login page to my NAS from the internet (which is what I do not want). I may access it by entering my network via VPN on my firewall - and deffinitelly I do not want to make it visible from the internet (just specified files I shared via links).
Nowadays - you may not be over-conerned about the security.

Any idea ho to do that? Some options below - please advice which one is possible on qnap and how to do that (where to look for)
A. Run file sharing separatelly from admin panel (so that can be enable on IF4, and admin panel is not) as well on a different port (ie FileSharing on. 8081 and admin on 8080)
B. Restrict admin panel (except access to files shared) to IF4 or just some pool if internal IP adresses
C. Any other idea?

Thank you for the support!

Maciej
schumaku
Guru

Re: FileStation public access for shared files

Post by schumaku »

maciej_k wrote:Question 1.
When sharing the file using Filestation - I may choose which IP address to include in the link or to include myqnapcloud address.
But I would like to include my public hostname (within my domain). Is there a place I may configure that in admin panel in QNAP or modify some cinfguration files directly on the qnap server?
For now only by accessing by your hostname.domain.whatever - this will dynamically added to the list.
maciej_k wrote:How to remove all other not necessary entries?
Not possible, there is no policy or the like.

Have requested this both several times, it has not happened yet. Please file a feature request with https://helpdesk.qnap.com/ - mention MantisBT ID 786 please.

For now, the share link, the file API (ie. for Qfile), Photo/Music/Video Station, and the QTS Desktop are in one single, not dividable port. Thee is no App firewalling possible.

Regards,
-Kurt
hartmann
New here

Re: FileStation public access for shared files

Post by hartmann »

Hi Kurt,

is there any Update on this ?
Will it with 4.3.5 possible to use ports differnet from Admin -GUI Port for sharing files ?

Thanks for the Update
Regards Hartmann

Return to “File Sharing”