Synchronizing and DST

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
John96
Know my way around

Synchronizing and DST

Post by John96 »

Hi All

So here's a good one.

I've been using (mostly) my TS-470 Pro for the last few years with out incident. The main usage is simply my main fileserver for my desktop and fileserver for synchronising my laptops. I synchronize the laptops and the QNAP using "Chronosync 4.2.4."

This morning when went to Synchronize my laptop, EVERYTHING was out of sync... Interestingly, out of sync by exactly ONE HOUR... This sounds like a daylights savings time issue, because sure enough here in Switzerland, we changed last night.

Now all QNAP files on my sever appear 1 hour ahead of all files on my laptop. Could the QNAP have changed all attributes? What is going on here. I have no trouble working on the files from my Desktop. So, no emergency, but I would like to understand...

Cheers, John
TS-219 Pro
TS-459 Pro
TS-470 Pro

Mostly using AFP with 10.4.11 and 10.6.8 operating systems
WebDAV via my QNAP Cloud since ca. 8 years...
Finally bought a new MacBook Pro and Testing Monterey for Serious Use
schumaku
Guru

Re: Synchronizing and DST

Post by schumaku »

The files copied to the NAS (from macOS 10.12.4 Beta 5) before and after DST change here still have the same date/time stamp - always "effective" local time. The time does not change, even if changing the time zone, enable/disable DST.

Suspect Chronosync is trying to be "smarter"...
John96
Know my way around

Post by John96 »

Thanks Schumaku!

I'll investigate some now and see what I find. I thought the opinion of an expert might be useful before I started. ;-)
TS-219 Pro
TS-459 Pro
TS-470 Pro

John96
Know my way around

Post by John96 »

Very strange. Everything works now.

After reading on the Chronosync website, I understand it, it has something do with the fact that OS X and Chronosync rely on UTC.
https://www.econtechnologies.com/chrono ... S-DST.html

Could it be that OS X 10.4 simply needs to reboot once as soon as DST takes effect for this the right time to be registered? That is starting triggers DST to take effect, then reboot forces an update of the file system? This would seem to make sense insofar as files on the QNAP were reported correctly (1 hour in advance.) I am thinking that QTS also uses UTC, or?
TS-219 Pro
TS-459 Pro
TS-470 Pro

Return to “File Sharing”