understand sharing

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
toninho_77
New here

understand sharing

Post by toninho_77 »

Hello,

I register in the forum because I buy 3 NAS QNAP TS-212P and i have a problem with the sharing.

The problem is, I create a user (for example) user1 pass:1234 in the NAS, and create a folder to acess exclusive user1, when i try access to a folder in windows appears a dialog box to login, but when i write (user1, pass:1234) do not enter.

But (is stange) if i have a user in widows name user1 and the pass is 1234 I access to shared folder without problems.

Can explain me what is the problem with my configuration?

Thanks
dolbyman
Guru

Re: understand sharing

Post by dolbyman »

are you running a domain ?

if so try

\username

so it does not use the domain name for auth
toninho_77
New here

Post by toninho_77 »

The machines are Windows in Workgroup.

I try insert the credencials this ways:

User: user1
pass: 1234

User: name of machine\user1

and

User: name of NAS\user1

Help?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

try just

\user1
pass
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

This is the classic problem - but not QNAP caused.

Windows does not allow using multiple identities to access the same server from the same Windows client. Even if the dialog box does talk about a login, this is not the same like say an access to an FTP server, to an shell by SSH, ... where you can access using different identities.

Re-think your use case ...
toninho_77 wrote:The problem is, I create a user (for example) user1 pass:1234 in the NAS, and create a folder to acess exclusive user1, when i try access to a folder in windows appears a dialog box to login, but when i write (user1, pass:1234) do not enter.
You are doing this from another identity. If this identity needs the access to the folder, it must be granted to the actual user - "login" using another user is not permitted. Starting from Windows 10, Microsoft has added an indication that this is not possible. On earlier versions, you are queried simply forever - even if providing the correct credentials.

A temporary workaround client admins are using to mount ie. a software distribution share, for utilities ... is to use the \\[IP-address]\ instead of the \\NASname\ - however, this is not intended way to operate it.

Regards,
-Kurt

Return to “File Sharing”