Unable to access shared folders since firmware 4.3.3 update

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
PatrickPR
Starting out

Re: Unable to access shared folders since firmware 4.3.3 update

Post by PatrickPR »

ToolmanJoe wrote:Got a notification that 4.3.3.0229 (Build 20170624) is now available for download. Does anyone know if this fixes the Samba problem?

Joe
QTS 4.3.3.0229 build 20170624

[Important Notes]
- For the status of QTS updates and maintenance for your NAS model, visit https://www.qnap.com/en/product/eol.php
- When QTS 4.3.x is installed on NAS models running on 64-bit Intel and AMD processors, some applications may not be supported. To check if installed apps on your NAS are compatible with QTS 4.3.x, download the QTS 64-bit compatibility tool and install it on your current QTS build. (https://download.qnap.com/QPKG/CF64_0.1-1114.qpkg.zip)
- QTS 4.3.x is the final available firmware update for the following models:
TS-112P, TS-212P, TS-212-E, HS-210, TS-112, TS-212, TS-121, TS-221, TS-421 TS-120, TS-220, TS-420, TS-420U, TS-421U TS-412, TS-412U, TS-419U, TS-419U+, TS-419U II, TS-119P II, TS-219P II, TS-419P II, TS-119P+, TS-219P+, TS-419P+, TS-119P, TS-219P, TS-419P, TS-119, TS-219, TS-419

[Enhancements]
- Improved the compatibility of the third and fourth drive bays on the TS-451A with high-capacity hard drives.

[Fixes]
- No disk I/O errors occur when an external storage device is selected as the destination for cloud-to-local sync jobs on Hybrid Backup Sync.
- Download Station does not lose connection when multiple download tasks are completed in a short period of time.
- The NAS can still join an Active Directory domain when SMB 1 is disabled on the Active Directory server.
- No connection issues occur when users access certain VPN servers via L2TP/IPSec or OpenVPN using QVPN.
- Domain users can access shared folders after installing a certain Qfix and then restart the NAS.
- The configuration of the DHCP server of the USB QuickAccess port does not affect the DHCP service in Container Station.
- Subtitles can be correctly displayed when users play .mp4 files on File Station.
- VJBOD disconnections do not cause Download Station to stop even when the download locations of download tasks are on the VJBOD volumes.
- Fixed multiple security vulnerabilities regarding input validation and access control.
- Temporary folders can be successfully deleted after users finish backing up files from the QNAP NAS to non-QNAP NAS devices via RTRR.
- Users can successfully delete a large number of LUNs using Cinder without causing Storage Manager interface to stop responding.
- The system does not erroneously display the message "update failed" when users enable or disable antivirus in Control Panel.

[Other Changes]
- In this update, RAID scrubbing is automatically scheduled. RAID scrubbing checks the data integrity of all RAID 5 and RAID 6 groups on the NAS. Running this check regularly is recommended. Storage performance might be degraded while RAID scrubbing is running. You can modify the schedule at "Storage Manager" > "Global Settings" > "RAID Scrubbing".
- After updating the NAS managed by Q'center from 4.2.x to 4.3.x, the administrator of Q'center must input the password of each NAS to continue monitoring.
- Virtualization Station
Due to advancements in the backup features, virtual machines created in older versions (1.x/2.x) of Virtualization Station can no longer be backed up and restored in 3.0. (A workaround is to clone an older Virtual Machine; the cloned VM can be backed up/restored, but all original snapshots will be removed)

Conclusion, nothing mentioned about 'our' issue, nor that it fixes this. Or does - Domain users can access shared folders after installing a certain Qfix and then restart the NAS. referes to this issue?
gloeckle
Starting out

Post by gloeckle »

I installed the update and disabled most of the installed apps (never had optware / survailance station is uninstalled) - reboot - still the same.
I am very close to sell it and buy synology.
This is the 3rd time i ve major issues where it is, pretty much, unusable!

that money for so much trouble....

anyone with long time running synology? also showstopper problems?
kickbackpunk
Starting out

Post by kickbackpunk »

It doesn't help either when support tells me the issue is with my network and not their product even all the evidence says it is. I have to agree this is my last round with QNAP.
ToolmanJoe
Starting out

Post by ToolmanJoe »

Same here. Nothing irritates me more than when a company denies an obvious problem experienced by many users.

Does anyone from QNAP management read this forum???
palmerac
Starting out

Post by palmerac »

I opened a ticket about two weeks ago. A US tech support guy poked around my NAS during a couple of TeamViewer sessions. Initially he tried to blame the problem on our local network, but I finally convinced him by pointing out that a manual restart of the nmbd daemon (by SSHing into the system and running
/etc/init.d/smb.sh restart ) causes the NAS name to reappear in Network Explorer.

The US support guy said he was escalating my ticket, and I assumed he was referring it to the engineering/development team who work on firmware. In fact, it seems that he only bumped my ticket to a higher level tech support guy (Alex) in Taiwan.

Through another TeamViewer session, the Taiwan support guy added a command to autorun.sh so that nmbd gets restarted at some point. I assume autorun.sh is executed during bootup but perhaps it runs again periodically? I'm not sure. Anyway, the addition to autorun.sh seems to have worked as the NAS name remains visible via Network Explorer (in Windows) and my non-Windows devices can see the NAS as well.

Obviously, this is a band-aid that does not address the firmware bug. Any suggestions on how to gently push QNAP to escalate this to the engineers/developers so that the firmware gets fixed?
gloeckle
Starting out

Post by gloeckle »

palmerac wrote: /etc/init.d/smb.sh restart ) causes the NAS name to reappear in Network Explorer.
actually it didn't help me.
I always see the share and can access it first level = see shared folders
when i want to get one level deeper the login window pops up (never did before)
if i use new user or admin or whatever... i always get thrown back like i misstyped the password and then get bannned.
it is just 0% success

realy gets on my nerves
PatrickPR
Starting out

Post by PatrickPR »

palmerac wrote:The US support guy said he was escalating my ticket, and I assumed he was referring it to the engineering/development team who work on firmware. In fact, it seems that he only bumped my ticket to a higher level tech support guy (Alex) in Taiwan.
The Teamviewer session I had a while ago was also with some guy named Alex. I think that's the engineer working on our problem.
palmerac wrote: Through another TeamViewer session, the Taiwan support guy added a command to autorun.sh so that nmbd gets restarted at some point. I assume autorun.sh is executed during bootup but perhaps it runs again periodically? I'm not sure. Anyway, the addition to autorun.sh seems to have worked as the NAS name remains visible via Network Explorer (in Windows) and my non-Windows devices can see the NAS as well.
That's the same solution that this Alex tried on my NAS. However, that solution didn't work for me (although it seemed to work for a couple of reboots) and I reported that to QNAP support immediatly. Strange that they are sticking to this solution.
-EM
Starting out

Post by -EM »

Updated TS-119 to QTS 3.4.4.0229 three days ago. Since then, the nmbd service is keeping up - did 5 reboots in the mean time, name to IP address resolution is still working.
As i have seen the issue come and go with different releases of 4.3.3, and given the symptoms, there may be a timing dependency in the startup sequence that either uncovers or masks the issue.
I have a ticket ID with QNAP support, i will keep it at hand in case the problem resurfaces.
Roby77
Starting out

Post by Roby77 »

Today qnap replied to me

Thank you for contacting QNAP.

I apologize for the lack of reply from my colleague Sunny Chen, she is not available to reply at the moment.

Can you please tell me if you have updated your NAS to the latest FW release QTS 4.3.3.0229, and also updated all your applications via AppCenter.

If you updated your NAS and applications, but you still have issues, please let me know in detail the problem you are facing and also, could you please help gather some logs for analysis?

How to pull dump log:

1. Login to NAS interface and click on the APP Center.
2. Search "diagnostic" and the diagnostic tool should show up. Add it.
3. Open and click on the "dump" button to dump the zip file to download.
4. Send me the zip file.
redisztribucio
New here

Post by redisztribucio »

Everything is working fine after the latest firmware update (4.3.3.0229): SMB, DLNA and name resolve. Victory!!!!
kickbackpunk
Starting out

Post by kickbackpunk »

Glad to hear someone had success cause it's not working for me.
etn777
New here

Post by etn777 »

Same issue since 4.3 upgrade.
God bless this thread!
Following palmerac's procedure worked for me: both Win10 and WD live can now see NAS.
But it's not acceptable to have to manual restart every time.
Ridiculous QNAP still can't fix such an essential issue: you have a remote archive/library and you can't reach it!
This is why you buy a NAS!
gloeckle
Starting out

Post by gloeckle »

i opened a ticket too.
with dumps / logs / screenshots etc...

- first reply: use Q-Finder Pro
- i replied with even more screenshots with qfinder
- then i got the second reply today:

GERMAN
Die Korrektur von solche Fehler dauert 2 Monate oder länger, deshalb werde Ihnen empfehlen vorübergehend eine Firmware downgrade zu machen zu der letzte funktionierende Firmware, die Firmwares sind:
https://www.qnap.com/en/product_x_down/

ENGLISH
Fixing this issue will take 2 months or longer. That is why we recommend you to downgrade to a working firmware. These are: https://www.qnap.com/en/product_x_down/

Me first: :evil:
then: :?
and now browsing synology :!:
-EM
Starting out

Post by -EM »

gloeckle wrote:i opened a ticket too.
with dumps / logs / screenshots etc...
[...]
ENGLISH
Fixing this issue will take 2 months or longer. That is why we recommend you to downgrade to a working firmware. These are: https://www.qnap.com/en/product_x_down/
[...]
FWIW, to circumvent the symptoms, it is possible to include a smb restart in crontab, e.g. every morning or at any convenient time when no exchanges with other smb devices are taking place.
(deleted 'crontab -e' steps)
Gives some breathing space while waiting for a fix.

EDIT: per input from OneCD, replace 'crontab -e' with direct edit of table, see https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Add_items_to_crontab for instructions :ashamed:

-Eric
Last edited by -EM on Sat Jul 01, 2017 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OneCD
Guru

Post by OneCD »

-EM wrote:

Code: Select all

# crontab -e
Ah, no 'crontab -e' for you. ;)

https://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Add_items_to_crontab

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Return to “File Sharing”