Unable to access shared folders since firmware 4.3.3 update

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: Unable to access shared folders since firmware 4.3.3 update

Post by storageman »

scsirob wrote:I received the following reply from support:

"It's confirmed as a bug in this firmware ,our developers are investigating in order to solve it asap.
I will get back to you as soon as I know more.
Have a nice day."
This must be a bug under certain conditions - not everyone sees this problem.
blong
New here

Post by blong »

I am experiencing same problem! Very frustrating that I have to restart SMB every time my computer sleeps... Doesn't matter if I have NAS set to LDAP or standalone server security. Just wanted to confirm another case in the real world (TS-219P)
PatrickPR
Starting out

Post by PatrickPR »

This morning I received a message in my ticket. QNAP support asked me to install the helpdesk app and open remote support. Very curious about what they are going to do, but I hope it finally solves the issue.

edit: no luck, still the same issue. Developer did something, don't know what though.
scsirob
Getting the hang of things

Post by scsirob »

PatrickPR wrote:edit: no luck, still the same issue. Developer did something, don't know what though.
A developer will log in on my system this wednesday. I sure hope he does not make any changes. I also do not expect him to fix the issue right there and then.
I would expect him to gather information that allows QNAP to duplicate the issue in-house.

A fix should be a new release of the firmware, with well understood and thoroughly tested changes. A couple of changes to make things work would not be a fix but a hack.
The last thing I want a developer to do is make some undocumented change to my system that comes to bite me at a later stage.
PatrickPR
Starting out

Post by PatrickPR »

Friday last week, I had a Teamviewer session with a developer. He did all sort of things with the CLI. Bottom line whas that he added a line to autostart.sh to restart the smb and nmbd service as a temporary fix and that they are digging deeper to permanently solve the issue. Unfortunately, this temporary fix also didn't solve the issue. So I'm back to square one at the moment, already informed QNAP support.

In my view, it shouldn't be so hard to compare firmware 4.2.x with 4.3.x and see what changes are made. One of them is probably responsible for this behaviour in the startup proces. I can't understand what's so hard about that.
scsirob

Post by scsirob »

PatrickPR wrote:..In my view, it shouldn't be so hard to compare firmware 4.2.x with 4.3.x and see what changes are made. One of them is probably responsible for this behaviour in the startup proces. I can't understand what's so hard about that.
You'd be surprised how hard it is to diagnose software issues. The same code runs just fine on all other QNAP platforms, just not on Marvell Kirkwood chips. This could be a race condition in code that only occurs at certain system speeds or with certain settings or hardware configs. Perhaps this only happens when you have certain drives attached, when you have iSCSI enabled, or when your network subnet collides with something unexpected. Or it could be a flaw in their compiler, a kernel bug, some optimization done wrong, you name it. I write software myself and believe me, sometimes bugs defy all logic.

I don't blame QNAP for taking some time to properly diagnose the issue. But I do object to trial-and-error tactics. Adding a line in your autostart.sh just to see if it would work is unacceptable. You are not their lab. They should gather information from your system (and mine), correlate that information, reproduce the error in-house and not get back until they understand the issue and fixed it. If the developer pulls a stunt like that on my system then I will pull the plug immediately.
kingking306
New here

Post by kingking306 »

I also have the same issue. subscribing the topic and see what's the solution later.
Roby77
Starting out

Post by Roby77 »

sent logs to qnap on 16/06....no more reply :roll:
cowanh
New here

Post by cowanh »

I have the same problems but am a total nubie at this, no telnet/unix (or whatever the QNAS OS is). I get the telnet up on Win10 and SMB3enabled and even the SMB.SH restart command BUT, why the heck should I have to do this every time I reboot my NAS (or the power goes out?)?? Isn't access to shared folders a BASIC function of a file server?

2. is there a way to telnet from within the NAS web GUI? and can I setup a command to automatically execute the SMB restart say every day at the same time?

3. I ASSUME that this has been reported to QNAP and they are working on a fix? although I see the last message here was from April.

I have a TS-212P with up to date firmware.
scsirob

Post by scsirob »

OK, I had two sessions with a developer from QNAP yesterday and today. Very productive and knowledgable guy. We seem to be on to something. :shock:

A show of hands please. How many of you have this issue and do NOT have the Optware IPKG app installed?
I have version 0.99.163 on my system.
effetredici
Starting out

Post by effetredici »

After a long long long... backup, I formatted and reinitialize the nas with firmware 4.3.3 0210. It seems all working perfectly. Has someone else tried it?
scsirob

Post by scsirob »

effetredici wrote:After a long long long... backup, I formatted and reinitialize the nas with firmware 4.3.3 0210. It seems all working perfectly. Has someone else tried it?
I do not have the guts... Do you have the Optware IPKG software on your freshly formatted system? If so, which version?
billmars
Starting out

Post by billmars »

scsirob wrote:A show of hands please. How many of you have this issue and do NOT have the Optware IPKG app installed?
I have this problem and DO have Optware IPKG v0.99.163 installed.
I must have installed this for some good reason, but cannot remember for what, or indeed whether it is still required.
effetredici
Starting out

Post by effetredici »

scsirob wrote:
effetredici wrote:After a long long long... backup, I formatted and reinitialize the nas with firmware 4.3.3 0210. It seems all working perfectly. Has someone else tried it?
I do not have the guts... Do you have the Optware IPKG software on your freshly formatted system? If so, which version?
Never installed or at least I do not remember doing it
-EM
Starting out

Post by -EM »

scsirob wrote:OK, I had two sessions with a developer from QNAP yesterday and today. Very productive and knowledgeable guy. We seem to be on to something. :shock:

A show of hands please. How many of you have this issue and do NOT have the Optware IPKG app installed?
TS119, no Optware installed; issue (nmbd process stopping ~5 minutes after reboot, system not listening on UDP ports 137, 138) present.

EDIT: QTS 4.3.3.0210 installed; opened ticket, exchanged info with QNAP support agent in NL.
Last edited by -EM on Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “File Sharing”