NAS Name and IP

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
storageman
Ask me anything

Re: NAS Name and IP

Post by storageman »

If I'm reading this right, how can you have 192.168.1.5 if your range is 100-199?
No device is on 1.5, it's just not in the range, just change your DHCP range to 1.1. to 1.250
Sgt Hartman
Getting the hang of things

Post by Sgt Hartman »

oyvindo wrote:Download SoftPerfect WiFi Guard and let it analyze your network and see what is found.
(Note that it remains resident unless you terminate it)
Ok I lift white flag. There is no .5 anywhere. I see as expected my NAS (.155) and my Shield (.128). I'll try with a different number, thanks!
Toxic17
Ask me anything

Re: RE: Re: NAS Name and IP

Post by Toxic17 »

storageman wrote:If I'm reading this right, how can you have 192.168.1.5 if your range is 100-199?
No device is on 1.5, it's just not in the range, just change your DHCP range to 1.1. to 1.250
He can have 192.168.1.5 if he sets a static IP address on the NAS rather than relying on dhcp issuing the IP address.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk
Regards Simon

Qnap Downloads
MyQNap.Org Repository
Submit a ticket • QNAP Helpdesk
QNAP Tutorials, User Manuals, FAQs, Downloads, Wiki
When you ask a question, please include the following

NAS: TS-673A QuTS hero h5.1.2.2534 • TS-121 4.3.3.2420 • APC Back-UPS ES 700G
Network: VM Hub3: 500/50 • UniFi UDM Pro: 3.2.9 • UniFi Network Controller: 8.0.28
USW-Aggregation: 6.6.61 • US-16-150W: 6.6.61 • 2x USW Mini Flex 2.0.0 • UniFi AC Pro 6.6.62 • UniFi U6-LR 6.6.62
UniFi Protect: 2.11.21/8TB Skyhawk AI • 3x G3 Instants: 4.69.55 • UniFi G3 Flex: 4.69.55 • UniFi G5 Flex: 4.69.55
Sgt Hartman

Re: RE: Re: NAS Name and IP

Post by Sgt Hartman »

Toxic17 wrote:He can have 192.168.1.5 if he sets a static IP address on the NAS rather than relying on dhcp issuing the IP address.
So good news, NAS and Shield are working fine with .50 and .51

However I noticed something "weird" on my NAS I also have a VM, which when operative I guess it creates an IP conflict with the NAS itself. On my laptop I can easily access to my NAS folders clicking on its name if the VM is off. On the other hand when VM is on I can't, the only way is to type \\192.168.1.50.

Is it possible to solve this issue? Thanks.
cladmonitor
Starting out

Post by cladmonitor »

I know this is an old post and I hate to dig it out of the trash but its the ONLY post that really deals with this specific issue:

Just wanted to say I had this exact same issue, I tried to simply enable the DHCP server but trying to simply add to the already enabled Virtual Switch(NOT changing the IP) gave me this "IP in use" nonsense. I wasn't sure what was causing it so I changed it to the next not-used IP while also enabling DHCP this worked! Now I tried to change it back and blamo, IP in Use error. I verified that there was no conflicts by even directly connecting a computer to the NAS and tried to change it with same error. So I rebooted it, it took over 30 minutes for services to start and during that I noticed that the old IP AND! the new IP were pingable. I decided to break the trunking I had setup and start again ... sure as hell once the interfaces were seperated one of the NICs had my OLD IP.

TLDR; Delete all of your trunks, I bet the config is seeing an individual interface with that IP and having a FIT.

PS. WTH Did you guys design a DHCP Server with a single DNS entry?!
onehans
Know my way around

Post by onehans »

finally some sensible answer. thx ill try that
onehans
Know my way around

Post by onehans »

it did work. set it to balance RR and removed V switches. the only broken thing left is open vpn
onehans
Know my way around

Post by onehans »

to fix VPN "fail" message with every try to add client, i added entry for openvpn that was missing for some reason to /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/vpn.conf

Code: Select all

[OPENVPN_CLIENT2]
Enable = TRUE
Mask = 24
Index = 2
QTS Port = 0
Last Error = 0
Imported = 1
Reconnect = 1
Custom Mask = FALSE
Profile File = ca-montreal.privateinternetaccess.com
Name = *******
AccessCode = ********
Server Address = ca-montreal.privateinternetaccess.com
Real Address = 199.229.249.136
LocalIP = 10.37.11.6
RemoteIP = 10.37.11.5
Country Code = CA
Status = 1
Time Stamp = 1541021843
Up = 
Down = 
Metadata = 
Vendor = 
DNS Server = 
VPN Port = 1197
VPN Proto Type = udp
Enable compressed VPN link = 0
Auth User Pass = TRUE
Vendor Auth = FALSE
Encryption = 1
Philipd

Post by Philipd »

@onehans

How did you know what values to put into your /mnt/HDA_ROOT/.config/vpn.conf file

I have the same problem as you in that after I updated the FW to 4.3.5.0728 I had to upgrade the QVPN app to 2.0.553. After that my VPN configurations were gone so I tried to recreate them using the PIA OVPN files but each time the import fails.

I have now just checked my vpn.conf file and this is empty. Unfortunately I don't know how to populate it .

Thanks
TS-x53A
onehans
Know my way around

Post by onehans »

copy what i got above and it should pop out in web configuration and let you delete / create. the important bit that was missing is basically [OPENVPN_CLIENT2]
snappernet
New here

Post by snappernet »

I realise this is a very old post now and no doubt you've worked around this by using a different IP address on the QNAP or resetting it to defaults.
I came across a similar issue recently and thought I'd share my findings with you. This may help someone else in the future with a similar issue because I know I was unable to find a solution easily myself and it took a bit of research to work it out.

Without seeing screenshots of the exact "IP in use" message I'm going to guess that it is NOT being caused by an IP address conflict with another device on your network but in fact by that IP address being considered already in use on the NAS itself. This is what we found on a QNAP which had its drives migrated to another chassis.
The main IP address for one of the interfaces had previously been assigned to a single or bonded (trunked) pair of interfaces which didn't exist in the new chassis. Depending on where we found reference to it this was either interface9 or bond0. The chassis has 8 network interfaces (0-7).
When that IP address was attempted to be assigned to a single or trunked pair of ports in the new chassis we were consistently seeing the "IP address already in used" (sic) message.

After digging around in the logs from a dump out of the QNAP diagnostic tool I found reference to that IP address as mentioned above. Following the trail of how that was being assigned I eventually determined that that reference to the IP address in use needed removal but since that seems to be generated on the fly from a database or some other method at boot I couldn't just edit the .conf files to remedy it.

Finally the only course of action looked to be a config reset which would represent a fair amount of work to set the NAS up again with all users, settings, etc. Thankfully there WAS another option uncovered which allowed the resetting of just the network config. Boiled down, this is what I came up with...

SOLUTION: Reset just the network configuration!
To reset the network configuration you'll need to ensure that the NAS is using a DHCP assigned IP address then SSH into the QNAP and login with your admin username and password then execute the following commands;

cd /etc/init.d
./network.sh reset_to_default

You will temporarily lose connection to the NAS and then the network settings will be reset. You should now be able to set your previously used IP address on whichever interface you need to hopefully without the IP in use warning.

This is the method that worked for me and maybe it'll help you or another searcher in the future.

Cheers
Mark H
SnapperNet
joey1211
New here

Post by joey1211 »

./network.sh reset_to_default

My NAS does not seem to recognise this command. The PuTTY session outputs the following

Usage: ./network.sh {start|stop|restart|setdns|write_hosts|mtu|speed|routedown|routeup|reload bond[i]}

Any ideas?
snappernet
New here

Post by snappernet »

joey1211 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 4:19 pm ./network.sh reset_to_default

My NAS does not seem to recognise this command. The PuTTY session outputs the following

Usage: ./network.sh {start|stop|restart|setdns|write_hosts|mtu|speed|routedown|routeup|reload bond}

Any ideas?

It may be a firmware version issue with that function only becoming available in a newer version than you have. When I used this command the QNAP was on the latest available firmware, 4.3.6.something if I recall.
You might be able to take a copy of the network.sh script that supports that parameter from a newer firmware and copy it to your NAS but I'm not sure if there's any other dependencies required. The safer option would be to have a backup then just update firmware.
joey1211
New here

Post by joey1211 »

Thanks for the reply but I was barking up the wrong tree. I had moved the NAS and plugged the ethernet cable into the second port and was trying to give it the same IP address that was on the first port. Oops!
horia.q
New here

Post by horia.q »

Big thanks joey1211 ! It worked for me . I move the HDD`s from one 4-bay unit to a 6-bay unit and i couldn`t set on new 6-bay unit the ip address from the older 4-bay unit. After i reset the network to default settings as joey1211 sugested i could set the IP address by using Qfinder Pro utilities.
This is the output from SSH:

[~] # cd /etc/init.d
[/etc/init.d] # ./network.sh reset_to_default

[18:11:47] cmd: /usr/local/sbin/qsh NetworkService.ncaas.write_back path=all
[18:11:48] cmd: /sbin/daemon_mgr nmd stop /usr/sbin/nmd.sh
[18:11:50] ERROR: cmd(/sbin/daemon_mgr nmd stop /usr/sbin/nmd.sh) failed, ret=1
[18:11:50] cmd: kill 8132
[18:11:50] ERROR: cmd(kill 8132) failed, ret=1
[18:11:50] cmd: /sbin/daemon_mgr ifd stop /usr/local/bin/ifd
[18:11:52] ERROR: cmd(/sbin/daemon_mgr ifd stop /usr/local/bin/ifd) failed, ret=1
[18:11:52] cmd: kill 7893
[18:11:52] ERROR: cmd(kill 7893) failed, ret=1
[18:11:52] cmd: /usr/local/bin/nacli stop

Return to “File Sharing”