[TS-231]Does not work as Local Master Browser and/or WINS server [SOLVED]

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
Earendil
Getting the hang of things

[TS-231]Does not work as Local Master Browser and/or WINS server [SOLVED]

Post by Earendil »

First, my LAN has many Win computers, a couple of Unix based (NAS4Free) systems as well as several appliances (Linux based like the PCH A-500). My main system is a powerful x64 Win7 setup.

Ever since I got the TS-231 a year or so ago, I have tried enabling the Local Domain Master browser setting and the WIN server setting in the TS-231 but no computers would show up in my network neighborhood except the one I was on. Nor could the appliances 'see' other systems, especially the NAS'. I was forced to use my older TS-209 Pro but no worries, it worked. Well recently the TS-209 Pro stopped (I think it is a firmware corruption issue) and I've had to find another NAS for those two settings. I'd prefer to use the TS-231 because it's recent, most likely to be up (more reliable uptime, I'm constantly fiddling with the NAS4Free servers) and still in it's upgrade cycle (TS-101 is most definitely not). However using the TS-231 as the Local Domain Master browser and the WINS server and setting appropriate settings in all other systems (typically setting the TS-231 as the WINS server on Win computers and turning off Domain Master in the other NAS) didn't work as they could not see each other. The exception was any Win7 computers, the other systems didn't list but the \\any_other-system_name typed into the top of the File Manager resulted in access. In other words it looked like network discovery wasn't working (even though it's enabled).

I thought I'd share my fix. In the screen under the "Advanced Options" button of the "Microsoft Networking" tab under the "Win/Mac"NFS" screen in the TS-231, change the SMB version from from 3.0 to 2.1. Perhaps some guru can tell me why this works but I am too tired trying to troubleshoot my brainless TS-209 Pro... :cry:
Earendil
- TS-101 (v2.3.0 build 0825T) with a 2 TB WD green HDD
- TS-209 Pro (died during firmware update, too old to recover)
- TS-231 (latest firmware) with two 3 TB WD red HDDs in RAID 1
- TS-431P2-4G (latest firmware) with four 8 TB WD white HDDs in RAID 5
- A fifteen HDD XigmaNAS system (130 TB) in three RAID 5's

Return to “File Sharing”