Zip control for larger downloads

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
RecoveryForce
Starting out

Zip control for larger downloads

Post by RecoveryForce »

Sometimes I'll provide a share link for a client to download various amounts of data. Usually the amounts are under 20GB, but sometimes it could creep up to 50GB or even 100GB. When they choose everything to download, the CPU usage for zip skyrockets. Is there any way to adjust how the zip process works or, at the very least, set the max CPU usage?

It would be nice if we could use the same custom link process to provide a temp FTP username and password for traditional FTP access to that specific folder and disable after a specific time period or on a specific date.
TS-431 replaced with TS-453B
FW Version: 4.3.4.0569
schumaku
Guru

Re: Zip control for larger downloads

Post by schumaku »

RecoveryForce wrote:When they choose everything to download, the CPU usage for zip skyrockets. Is there any way to adjust how the zip process works or, at the very least, set the max CPU usage?
What is the point to artificially slow down this operation? If other processes are requiring the CPU, they will get the similar time share.
RecoveryForce
Starting out

Re: Zip control for larger downloads

Post by RecoveryForce »

schumaku wrote:What is the point to artificially slow down this operation? If other processes are requiring the CPU, they will get the similar time share.
Perhaps you are correct. I've been encountering various lockups with my system and they always seem to coincide with the zip and download process. I've disabled a few things, including the built-in AV and things are certainly a lot more stable now.
TS-431 replaced with TS-453B
FW Version: 4.3.4.0569

Return to “File Sharing”