Transfer speed

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
albertoro_2015
New here

Transfer speed

Post by albertoro_2015 »

I got an UX-800 and is being added to my TS-853Pro.

Now moving files from a RAID-5 on the TS-853 to a single hard disk on the UX for backup and reformatting the RAID.
Reseller told me that speed using disks on UX or TS will be minimun and "you will not notice that difference at least your network is very optimized (!!).

Using a SSD as read cache on TS-853 Pro.

Well moving files from RAID on TS to UX is about 16 Gytes in 10 hours....
(PD: Regarding this seems file station hungs with a long name file and stopped moving files.)

Latest numbers are 160 Gbytes in 8 hours.

Anyway moving files from the RAID to an USB3 SSD on fron USB port is slow.

Never on the last year I got a decent file tranfer speed on any situation.

It is normal or just the hardware is crappy????
Trexx
Ask me anything

Re: Transfer speed

Post by Trexx »

I would try using a back USB port and make sure it is a USB3 port. Even then you will get MAX 5Gb/S throughput from the USB port itself (probably less depending on your SSD). That will only be for large file writes and will be slower for alot of small files. You will probably also get higher throughput via BackupStation /HybridBackupSync.

Your UX chassis is going to have the same 5Gb/s throughput TOTAL for all disks on the chassis.
Paul

Model: TS-877-1600 FW: 4.5.3.x
QTS (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x 1TB WD Blue m.2's
Data (HDD): [RAID-5] 6 x 3TB HGST DeskStar
VMs (SSD): [RAID-1] 2 x1TB SK Hynix Gold
Ext. (HDD): TR-004 [Raid-5] 4 x 4TB HGST Ultastor
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 64GB DDR4-2666
UPS: CP AVR1350

Model:TVS-673 32GB & TS-228a Offline[/color]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
2018 Plex NAS Compatibility Guide | QNAP Plex FAQ | Moogle's QNAP Faq
P3R
Guru

Post by P3R »

Trexx wrote:Even then you will get MAX 5Gb/S throughput from the USB port itself...
And if we look at real world implementations instead of theoretical hardware specifications it will probably at best be much closer to about half of that number due to the protocol overhead.
Last edited by P3R on Mon Sep 18, 2017 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RAID have never ever been a replacement for backups. Without backups on a different system (preferably placed at another site), you will eventually lose data!

A non-RAID configuration (including RAID 0, which isn't really RAID) with a backup on a separate media protects your data far better than any RAID-volume without backup.

All data storage consists of both the primary storage and the backups. It's your money and your data, spend the storage budget wisely or pay with your data!
albertoro_2015
New here

Post by albertoro_2015 »

Thanks to both!

Yes, we are moving many small files and seems performances are very far away from theoretical numbers...

Return to “File Sharing”