Syntax to see a remote share in Windows Explorer

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
jokra62
New here

Syntax to see a remote share in Windows Explorer

Post by jokra62 »

Hello. I'm new to this forum and I need some help.

I have two QNAP's at different networks linked via QVPN L2TP/IPSec. Both have the same and latest firmware 4.3.3. RTRR synchronisations are working very well.

Then I have added on the Client station (TS-112) a remote share from the server station (TS-269Pro) by using the File-Station-5 app, protokol is CIFS/SMB. In this app I can see and access on the client station all files and folders from the server station.

However, in the Windows Explorer of a PC in the same network like the client station I can only see the shares from the client station, but not the (remote) shares from the server station.

On both station more or less only the Win/MAC/NFS service is enabled, no Telnet, no SMTP, no FTP.

Is it possible to make also the remote share from the server NAS visible in the MS network on the client side and what would be the syntac to add these shares e.g. as a network drive to the MS Explorer?

Many Thank's for you help
jokra62
jokra62
New here

Re: Syntax to see a remote share in Windows Explorer

Post by jokra62 »

OK. I found no solution how to access the remote share from the VPN server NAS with the Windows PC in the client network. But I found another solution to the problem.

Now I link the PC in the client network via the QVPN tunnel directly to the VPN server NAS. To link not all traffic from the client network via the tunnel but only the traffic to the server NAS I had to disable the option "Use standard gateway in the external network". The real meaning of this option is not 100% clear to me, but it works well and client and server NAS do show the VPN connection. To get it running, I also had to link the standard gateway of the Windows PC to the VPN client NAS. May be, this helps some people who have the same problem.

By the way, both NAS are behind a Fritz!Box router. So there was no need to open port 1701, as it is said in the QNAP manual. See https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/rra ... s-through/ for details.

Return to “File Sharing”