Strange problem with mac os high sierra

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
somy1982
Easy as a breeze

Strange problem with mac os high sierra

Post by somy1982 »

From time to time, I noticed some files in certain folders are no longer accessible via SMB or AFP after upgrading to high sierra, I can see the files not able to open the file or copy the file, and some files even disappears from there location. I haven't been able to identity the pattern, but looks to me like most files I cannot access are above 3GB.
Anyone else experience similar problem?
somy1982
Easy as a breeze

Re: Strange problem with mac os high sierra

Post by somy1982 »

I start to suspect it is related to this: https://eclecticlight.co/2017/04/06/apf ... languages/
Given the files are copied there from Windows and Windows doens't normalize the names.
somy1982
Easy as a breeze

Post by somy1982 »

Fired a support ticket and hopefully they can find out this time
schumaku
Guru

Post by schumaku »

somy1982 wrote:Given the files are copied there from Windows and Windows doens't normalize the names.
What is very similar to macOS - this is not really required. macOS only does a normalisation when it comes to the HFS+ file system access - not to the network shares.
somy1982 wrote:I start to suspect it is related to this: https://eclecticlight.co/2017/04/06/apf ... languages/
Unlikely: If macOS would do a normalisation systematically, the issue described would not exist at all. Apple seems to expect that all applications will go and use the specific APIs (similar to mobile Apps on iOS), and no longer use any direct POSIX/U**x file handling - what is completely unreal expectation. What Apple has done with APFS and the related special API does break much more things for the macOS users - many dead simple U**x-like scripts will fail and break the APFS integrity (from the user's view). And this is what is explained in the write-up.

Differently on Windows: There is no way to generate "duplicates" files and folders with similar (read: same) looking characters - neither in Windows Explorer, nor in the CMD, nor in the PowerShell, nor in the file open/save widgets, nor on Windows or NAS hosted shared folders, ... at all.

Still suspect inconsistent access rights, not using Advanced Folder Permissions on the NAS, or probably a "broken" database (as AFS does work on a NetATALK AFP related database, not diect on the file system!).
somy1982
Easy as a breeze

Post by somy1982 »

schumaku wrote:
somy1982 wrote:Given the files are copied there from Windows and Windows doens't normalize the names.
What is very similar to macOS - this is not really required. macOS only does a normalisation when it comes to the HFS+ file system access - not to the network shares.
somy1982 wrote:I start to suspect it is related to this: https://eclecticlight.co/2017/04/06/apf ... languages/
Unlikely: If macOS would do a normalisation systematically, the issue described would not exist at all. Apple seems to expect that all applications will go and use the specific APIs (similar to mobile Apps on iOS), and no longer use any direct POSIX/U**x file handling - what is completely unreal expectation. What Apple has done with APFS and the related special API does break much more things for the macOS users - many dead simple U**x-like scripts will fail and break the APFS integrity (from the user's view). And this is what is explained in the write-up.

Differently on Windows: There is no way to generate "duplicates" files and folders with similar (read: same) looking characters - neither in Windows Explorer, nor in the CMD, nor in the PowerShell, nor in the file open/save widgets, nor on Windows or NAS hosted shared folders, ... at all.

Still suspect inconsistent access rights, not using Advanced Folder Permissions on the NAS, or probably a "broken" database (as AFS does work on a NetATALK AFP related database, not diect on the file system!).
Thanks for the reply! I don't use advanced folder permission, how can I check access rights?
I tried with both my Macbook and iMac and got exactly the same behavior so I think it is something either in MacOS or Samba. Do you know if there is a way to "reset" the database?
I zipped the folder with the issue and attach here, hopefully somebody can help to see if the issue can be re-produced? What I experienced with MacOS High Sierra:
1) All *.txt files in the "Test" folder are visible in AFP/SMB, however they are not accessible (error 43 when trying to open them)
2) All folders in the "Test" folder are visible in AFP/SMB, however via SMB I cannot see any files inside the folders. AFP works fine in this case.
Everything works under Windows and even with KODI's SMB client on Mac.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
somy1982
Easy as a breeze

Post by somy1982 »

Update: QNAP confirms that they can re-produced the problem.
Warning to all MacOS users, double check if you use non-English file names.
mercator
Starting out

Post by mercator »

The problem occurs when the files were created under AFP and contains characters that SMB cannot handle.
somy1982
Easy as a breeze

Post by somy1982 »

The files are created via SMB, also tried to rename in File Station, same problem.
Those files work without any problem under Windows, could be a Mac OS issue.
mrp
Starting out

Post by mrp »

Warning to all MacOS users, double check if you use non-English file names.

I live in Finland. I'm sure to use non-English file names. any plans when this will be resolved?

Return to “File Sharing”