Why SSH

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
babuja
Know my way around

Why SSH

Post by babuja »

Hi guys, ive seen many of you access NAS by SSH. My question is why should someone learn how to use this functionality?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk
OneCD
Guru

Re: Why SSH

Post by OneCD »

Well, I'm a CLI nut, so I'm somewhat biased toward using the command-line interface (via the SSH protocol). :DD

For QNAP NAS administration specifically, there are operations that cannot be performed via the QNAP web-interface. QNAP have tried to make all the common operations available via the GUI, and they seem to be adding new things with each firmware release, but they haven't covered everything. So, it's sometimes necessary to SSH in and run commands in order to carry out certain actions or obtain information from the system.

For administering Linux devices in general, there are times when it's unavoidable. Try running a headless server without remote accessing it via SSH. ;)

If you're interested in learning more about using the Linux CLI: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=128704

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage
babuja
Know my way around

Re: RE: Re: Why SSH

Post by babuja »

OneCD wrote:Well, I'm a CLI nut, so I'm somewhat biased toward using the command-line interface (via the SSH protocol). :DD

For QNAP NAS administration specifically, there are operations that cannot be performed via the QNAP web-interface. QNAP have tried to make all the common operations available via the GUI, and they seem to be adding new things with each firmware release, but they haven't covered everything. So, it's sometimes necessary to SSH in and run commands in order to carry out certain actions or obtain information from the system.

For administering Linux devices in general, there are times when it's unavoidable. Try running a headless server without remote accessing it via SSH. ;)

If you're interested in learning more about using the Linux CLI: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=128704
ImageImageImageImage

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Return to “File Sharing”