TS-231P Microsoft File Sharing stops responding

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
ftldave
First post

TS-231P Microsoft File Sharing stops responding

Post by ftldave »

I've got a new TS-231P running as a member of a very large Active Directory domain. The NAS is updated to QTS 4.3.3.0361, the latest firmware. Only services running are Microsoft File Sharing and the Web Service, and SSH on an alternate port number. File sharing, specifically domain user logons, stop working after 24+ hours of runtime, requiring reboot. The unit always responds to pings, and I'm always able to login to its web console, and to SSH. Only SMB file sharing grinds to a halt after X number of hours, stops working.

So far my support ticket with QNAP is going in circles -- they're starting to repeat questions they asked days ago when I first opened the ticket, and nothing has remedied the problem. Log files show no errors, other than failed logins when they start to occur. File system okay, checked, no sign of hardware problems. It's used as a drop box, very large files being copied in and out, stuff too big for cloud/Box or for our main file servers.

This is the third QNAP NAS I've used for file sharing like this, over the past 7 years. But I'm beginning to think the TS-231P just doesn't have enough power to be a member of a large AD domain that contains many thousands of users and objects. Or, perhaps, the winbind in the latest firmware is much more limited than previous versions. We ran a TS-212 for many years in the same mode -- with zero AD login authentication problems.

Anyone seen the like of this before?
dolbyman
Guru

Re: TS-231P Microsoft File Sharing stops responding

Post by dolbyman »

there has been a simmilar issue around a year ago .. some smb deamon would crash ...I will try to find one of those old threads

check this one

viewtopic.php?t=131973

nmbd crashing

Return to “File Sharing”