PLEX permissions - access to EVERY QNAP FILE?! REALLY?

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
dolbyman
Guru

Re: PLEX permissions - access to EVERY QNAP FILE?! REALLY?

Post by dolbyman »

there is no qnap team here .. so no need to wake them up via a forum post

ditch HD-station altogether, why would you use it if you think it's a security flaw ?
wampajer
Starting out

Post by wampajer »

Is it possible to use direct HDMI output from NAS without using HD Station (e.g. from Kodi running under a Linux distro in a dedicated container station)?

PS. I also applied an official ticket two years ago...
Still no solution from QNAP HELPDESK.
Very disappointing.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

wampajer wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:35 am Is it possible to use direct HDMI output from NAS without using HD Station (e.g. from Kodi running under a Linux distro in a dedicated container station)?
I think so .. how performant this will be .. unknown .. try it .. or just abandon the qnap as a player
wampajer wrote: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:35 am PS. I also applied an official ticket two years ago...
Still no solution from QNAP HELPDESK.
Very disappointing.
That's all you can do though
m_emelchenkov
Starting out

Post by m_emelchenkov »

Unbelievable! I created a topic on Plex forums: https://forums.plex.tv/t/plex-qnap-root-access/654490. They should react to this.
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

and you got told off and the thread closed...productive
jaysona
Been there, done that

Post by jaysona »

I always find it humourous when people that don't know much about security lose their shizz over a perceived security issue where no real security issue really exists.

Sure the Plex admin can see the entire file system, but then that's what being an admin means, admins can access everything. Setting up plex to access only specific shares is stupidly easy to do.

Plex is intended for internal home use, if someone does not trust the people in their home, they have bigger issues to address.......
RAID is not a Back-up!

H/W: QNAP TVS-871 (i7-4790. 16GB) (Plex server) / TVS-EC1080 (32Gig ECC) - VM host & seedbox
H/W: Asustor AS6604T (8GB) / Asustor AS7010T (16GB) (media storage)
H/W: TS-219 Pro / TS-509 Pro
O/S: Slackware 14.2 / MS Windows 7-64 (x5)
Router1: Asus RT-AC86U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router2: Asus RT-AC68U - Asuswrt-Merlin - 386.7_2
Router3: Linksys WRT1900AC - DD-WRT v3.0-r46816 std
Router4: Asus RT-AC66U - FreshTomato v2021.10.15

Misc: Popcorn Hour A-110/WN-100, Pinnacle Show Center 250HD, Roku SoundBridge Radio (all retired)
Ditched QNAP units: TS-269 Pro / TS-253 Pro (8GB) / TS-509 Pro / TS-569 Pro / TS-853 Pro (8GB)
TS-670 Pro x2 (i7-3770s 16GB) / TS-870 Pro (i7-3770 16GB) / TVS-871 (i7-4790s 16GB)
Manfred73
Starting out

Post by Manfred73 »

I used Plex on a Synology before, but that broke down. I now switched to a QNAP and finally got that working after migrating everything from Synology to QNAP.
I copied over the entire database and after that, did a complete refresh of metadata. There are still some poster arts missing for movies and series. Manually refreshing the metadata for these doesn't help.

This could be a problem on the Synology as well if the permissions (user and group plex/plex) were not correct and if the media files didn't have the correct permissions.
However, now on the QNAP Plex seems to run as admin/administrator. So I would think that whatever the permissions of the media files are, shouldn't matter? All media files have my own username (which is also in the administrator group) and all files have permission 777.

What could be the cause of some posterarts still missing?
dolbyman
Guru

Post by dolbyman »

Unclear if all the migration was successful, check if any missing files do not have a match

For detail questions, I suggest the Plex forum
Q-nap
Starting out

Post by Q-nap »

It's just sloppy coding. Instead of writing decent secure code they just say it needs admin rights to work and if you don't give it those rights I won't work. That isn't just PLEX btw.
paul_ha
New here

Post by paul_ha »

Yes like someone wrote I run Plex and Roon in a container, but I think that Qnap should address the app security, apps are more convenient than containers.
Not everyone understands containers and VM.
In my opinion all apps should have rights management, and run in a sandbox.
They just need read rights to the files.

Return to “File Sharing”