Frequent QNAP Crashes with FTP published to the Internet

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
amdaxiom
New here

Frequent QNAP Crashes with FTP published to the Internet

Post by amdaxiom »

I published FTP on my QNAP to the Internet and created a user with no admin rights just for FTP. The files I need are not secure and publicly available, mainly utilities that I require every now and then. Nothing I am concerned about. In any case I still setup lockout policies as I don't want people hacking into my system.

I noticed recently my QNAP being down continuously and restarting by itself. I'd hear a beep as it was booting back up. After several times of it doing this I got a little concerned and on the next time the system was up I took a look at the logs. I was getting IP lockouts due to failed logins every few seconds from multiple IP addresses. For some reason I was being targeted by a botnet or something. I was suspcious that the thousands of login tries were causing the QNAP to reboot - maybe some process was taking up memory or too many requests were causing an issue?

In any case I did close the port as the QNAP was pretty much unusable with the constant restarts. As soon as I closed my FTP port the reboots stopped (and of course the IP lockouts stopped as well).

So if you happen to publish services and all of a sudden have your QNAP restarting maybe you are under attack by a botnet and the QNAP resources are being consumed.

As an FYI I do have 16GB of RAM in mine as I used to run some VM's on the box before. It is the 5 bay QNAP with the AMD quad core processor, I forget the exact model.

Return to “File Sharing”