the system cannot find the file specified User Home directory Qfile

FTP Server, File Server, DDNS, SAMBA, AFP, NFS
mkochsch
New here

the system cannot find the file specified User Home directory Qfile

Post by mkochsch »

Having a strange problem with all my users' home directories, I can create files and directories but can't open them from Windows 10 or Android QFile.
When you create a new user you can turn on "home" directories as an option. I have done this. I share a drive letter on windows 10.
e.g.

H:\
\\NAS\home
(select connect using different credentials ie, the QTS user's name and identity)

The home directory is created on the NAS Volume and I can create new documents and they show up in the file list, however, when I try to open them I get "The system cannot find the file specified" and an empty document. The problem exists with both Windows 10 File Manager and QFile on my Android (Pixel 2XL). When the QFile program fails it fails silently. For example, I'll try to edit and add text to the document.
Interestingly if I log in over the web locally with QTS as a specified user the problem does not exist on QTS's File Station 5, I can open and edit the files just fine.
When I check who created the file it shows the user's name correctly. Permissions are RW everywhere that I can see.

Running 4.3.6.1040 firmware.
dgypnas
Starting out

Re: the system cannot find the file specified User Home directory Qfile

Post by dgypnas »

I am SO HAPPY to see someone else having the same problem BUT I am panicked! I just updated the firmware last night and ever since I cannot access any files on my network shares. I'm using Windows 10 file explorer, I can browse my share-folders- the response time is very slow... always pauses for 2-3 seconds as I peruse folders but then if I try to open a file - even a simple .TXT file I get the error "The system cannot find the file specified". I even just created a file "xxx.txt" and it created the file just fine but open it (notepad) and I get that error.

Help! I'm a little desperate and afraid! :-(

I am able to SSH into the QNAP server and the browser-UI appears to be working fine. I rebooted both the NAS and my PC and still the same problem.

My QNAP is a TS-251 running "version 4.3.6.1040 (2019/08/20)"

If this was me at work this would be consider a "SEV1". I am effectively "down" so PLEASE HELP!!!
dgypnas
Starting out

Post by dgypnas »

Hey mkochsch - I just noticed if you search "4.3.6.1040" there are other posts about this. I'll admit, I didn't know what to search on and found your post first - so posted as a reply. Now I see they have pulled this firmware but I don't yet see solutions like... how can you and I fix our problem! If you see a solution, please post it back here and I will do the same. Ultimately this is a duplicate post though so it might get deleted.

UGH! This **! It's the weekend and I have work to do!!!
dgypnas
Starting out

Post by dgypnas »

@mkochsch - hey... They solved it in this thread: viewtopic.php?f=185&t=150168&p=724611

I managed to downgrade to the wrong version first and thought it was all a failure. Be careful which version you downgrade TO...

ugh - what a WASTE OF A SATURDAY!

but I am glad I have my files back!
mkochsch
New here

Post by mkochsch »

Je*sus! Thx.
How do I edit the /etc/init.d/smb.sh on this **?
I've got Linux experience but I don't see a shell app anywhere. I've only been using this QNAP Nas for a couple of days. Setting it up for a friend's network. I own a Synology myself but Memory Express was out of the model I want so I thought I'd give QNAP a whirl. Wow. Thank god I didn't have users on the system.
dgypnas
Starting out

Post by dgypnas »

mkochsch wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:46 am Je*sus! Thx.
How do I edit the /etc/init.d/smb.sh on this **?
I've got Linux experience but I don't see a shell app anywhere. I've only been using this QNAP Nas for a couple of days. Setting it up for a friend's network. I own a Synology myself but Memory Express was out of the model I want so I thought I'd give QNAP a whirl. Wow. Thank god I didn't have users on the system.
Hey, sorry I didn't check-in sooner. Once peace was renewed, it was the end of my hunt...

Forget trying to edit that file - the solution is to downgrade back to the previous non-Beta version (I fell for it and went with the "last version", which as it turns out has the same freaking problem! So... go for the last non-Beta version which for my TS-251 was in mid-July. It sounds a lot more complicated than it is...just download the pre-beta version, download the "QFinder" app and go from there.

It defintelely fixed the problem for me!

Return to “File Sharing”